• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cheap Cherokee Build

coastie124

NAXJA Forum User
I've posted elsewhere but I figured this would be the most helpful forum. Title says it all. This is going to be a true budget build. Starting off with a 1991 Black 4door Cherokee laredo with a 7" lift (i'm wondering if it isn't the 6.5 kit as rusty's doesn't offer a 7" as of right now). Dana 44 rear with limited slip. Dana 30 front with the vaccum disconnects. Automatic Tranny with the NP231 transfer case. The interior is pretty dirty but should clean up decent. It's got some cheapo sound system installed Notice the crappy looking sub box in the pix. It's a rusty's lift kit which includes:
• 2 - Front Coil Springs
• 2 - Rear Spring Packs
• Heavy Duty Adjustable Trac Bar with Frame Mount
• Upper Control Arms
• Lower Control Arms
• Stainless Steel Brake Line Extension Kit
• Front Sway Bar Disconnects JKS
Looks pretty heavy duty. And the springs are decent.
It's got some bald 33" BFG AT/KO's and by bald I mean the front ones you can see the belts.
The front window is cracked. The right hand mirror is broken. The front grill and cowling are cracked. The cowling is going to need some fiberglass repair work. And just the regular dents and dings associated with a 16 y/o vehicle in the south.
PIC_0087.jpg

PIC_0089.jpg

PIC_0090.jpg

PIC_0093.jpg

PIC_0096.jpg

PIC_0099-1.jpg

PIC_0099-1.jpg

PIC_0102.jpg

PIC_0103.jpg

PIC_0105-1.jpg

PIC_0112-1.jpg

PIC_0115-1.jpg

PIC_0117.jpg

PIC_0126-1.jpg

I have GOT to get me some of those custom headliner supports! Who carries them and can I get them in yellow?:jester:

Well the headliner supports are for sale. :laugh3:

Haven't decided on the front clip yet. I thought about changing the front clip and fender flares. Maybe, fabricating the 91 to except the rear hatch and swapping out the tail lights. If I do that though then I'll have to shoot a paint job on it. And, if I do that then I might as well do some body work. Then it'll be too nice and I won't want to wheel it, lol. As for the mirrors, those are going to made to fit.

The tow hook situation is undetermined at the moment. I'll be fabricating something (as it's a cheap Jeep project). It'll tie into the unibody. I've also got alot of armor to make. Would really like to stiffen up the body.

That being said. Anyone have any pics or know where I can find some of roll cages that don't really take up too much interior space. I don't really want to go all JEEPSPEED on it, but I would like to tie it all together while keeping it nice inside.

Thanks for the help.

IGOCOMMANDO said:
I have GOT to get me some of those custom headliner supports! Who carries them and can I get them in yellow?:jester:

Those are'nt custom headliner supports, those are the new budget roll bars! lol.:doh:

Here is how it looked the day after I hauled it home. Spent the day getting the doors off and cleaning up as much glass as I could.
PIC_0110.jpg

PIC_0108.jpg

This is what it looked like last night. The dash is only propped up there for now.
PIC_0121-1.jpg

I didn't get anything done today. This week will be removing the engine and drivetrain from the 99. Along with removing the 91's interior and starting the wiring swap into the 91.

XJPhoenix said:
Wow, you're upgrading everything? Going to OBD II?

A big project, but very cool.

:thumbup:

Whats OBD II?

And yes lots of work but I think it'll be well worth it in the end. At least for me. Saving me thousands of dollars.

I guess it will then. I'm doing a complete swap.

I've decided that since I'm taking it this far apart I'm going to change out the front clip and throw some new paint on the Jeep. I have a fullsize paint booth at my disposal. I think I'm going to go with a glossy black, but I'm not certain yet. Looking to do it cheap so black might be the best bet.

You wont get the late steel tailgate to fit the early body unless you are going to cut out the later models roof cross member and even the panel folds etc around the hinge as are completely different and spacing also.

Gojeep said:
You wont get the late steel tailgate to fit the early body unless you are going to cut out the later models roof cross member and even the panel folds etc around the hinge as are completely different and spacing also.

Yeah I've looked into that. Looks like it would be too much work for the reward. Plus that would add $ to the project which according to my wife "would be detrimental to my health." So I think I'll just swap out the front clip and maybe the power mirrors for a more modern look. Also that way I don't have to find a early model grill to replace mine. And the front clip on the 91 is cracked pretty good.

anywho thanks for the help guys.

Back