• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rubicon Jeep Jamboree hates my XJ

4x4Phil

NAXJA Forum User
So I was looking at events to go to and I've never done the Rubicon. I was looking into the Jeep Jamboree but at the end if the event requirements it says that no Jeep models '96 and older can participate? Is this a liability thing? Seems pretty lame especially since mines a '96. Any idea why not?
7edb2de0f99b5626b42939604a5dc8fa.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Wouldn’t matter what year it was , they only take wranglers and gladiators. I had the same feeling when I looked into it.
I would argue that they are missing out on having some very talented guys run the trails with them. Anyone can drive a brand new JL down the trail without any knowledge about maintenance or repairs. It takes a special guy to keep a 20 year old unibody XJ on the road.
Then again maybe they don’t want to deal with all the repairs!

More likely that they don't want all the checkbook wheelers to be embarrassed by 20-something year old XJs.

From the FAQ on JJ:

"May I bring my Jeep Liberty, Cherokee, Compass, Patriot, Grand Cherokee, or Commander?

"Of course! Most new Jeep 4×4 vehicles with a 4-LO transfer case are Trail Rated® and are tested on demanding 4×4 trails. See our Trail Ratings page to help determine what Jamboree is best for you. Wrangler is the recommended vehicle for the Rubicon Trail Jamboree. Your Jeep® four-wheel-drive vehicle is required to be street legal with license plate, in good condition, with good tires, brakes, and seat belts. In addition, we require prior approval for larger Jeep 4x4s, such as Grand Wagoneers and J-Series Pickups. Jeep Jamboree USA reserves the right to refuse participation to any applicant whose vehicle exceeds size restrictions."

From the FAQ on JJ:

"May I bring my Jeep Liberty, Cherokee, Compass, Patriot, Grand Cherokee, or Commander?

"Of course! Most new Jeep 4×4 vehicles with a 4-LO transfer case are Trail Rated® and are tested on demanding 4×4 trails. See our Trail Ratings page to help determine what Jamboree is best for you. Wrangler is the recommended vehicle for the Rubicon Trail Jamboree. Your Jeep® four-wheel-drive vehicle is required to be street legal with license plate, in good condition, with good tires, brakes, and seat belts. In addition, we require prior approval for larger Jeep 4x4s, such as Grand Wagoneers and J-Series Pickups. Jeep Jamboree USA reserves the right to refuse participation to any applicant whose vehicle exceeds size restrictions."

That is definitely not the case for every trail, nor should it be. Although I would like to see a compass run the rubicon.

Back