• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

light-mounting options?

whatevah

It's Yellah!
I want to mount a couple KC lights on my 2001 XJ (bone stock)... I couldn't find any roof-mount bars for XJs, so I've been considering either a "universal" mount, or doing a ghetto bar using a 3rd roof-rack crossbar.

Well, unil I went offroading to a new (to me) place nearby and the trees were a bit lower than I'm used to. They hit my roof rack quite a few times, and kept fighting with my CB antenna. So, I'm wondering if there any options for mounting offroad lights onto the stock bumper.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
You can mount your lights to the bumper where the factory fog lights go. It will work, but it’s not optimal by any means. They sit to low, don’t shine enough light down there and have a tendency to take hits from gravel and small tree branches. I mounted mine on the roof by fabbing up a bar that sits only a ½” off of my roof. You are right about one thing, if you use the huge Hella, KC, etc lights and stick them up on a bar a couple of inches over your roof they will drag every thing in the woods. So mount the bar as low as possible and use small lights instead. I’m using 2 industrial flood lights (for farm equipment) and 2 small aircraft landing lights (for Cessna 152s, etc) that are only 4” diameter. They are incredibly compact, have rubber housings, cost $12 a piece and are brighter than my buddies high dollar Hellas. I got the lights from 6 States Distributors up here (in AK), but you can probably get them from any industrial/farm equipment supply place. I’m not sure how to post pictures, but if you PM me and I can send you some.

my factory fogs are under the bumper in the air dam. :D

I'm satisfied with with headlights for short-distance lighting, but I was out on a geocache run a few miles from paved roads and it got dark faster than I planned, and although I was ok, I was wishing I had some more powerful lights so I could see a bit farther. I was thinking of KC Daylighters for a roof-mount position.

well, I ended up going with a gutter-mount bar, pre-made and wired with 4 tabs. decision was made after going through a lot of deep water, don't wanna fry my lights. :)

Back