• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3 CODES!!! Need help

98 jeepjeep

NAXJA Forum User
Since i bought my 98 4.0 Auto XJ it has had weird random Elec. Issues causing shifting issues. Nothing that feels Mechanical.

P0700= Trans control System Malfunction.
P0122=Tps/Pedal Pos sensor A circuit Low imput.
P0705=Trans range circuit Malfunction.

After seeing the TPS code i replaced it with several JY units and then eventually 2 New ones....So is there a solenoid inside the trans pan i can replace or whats going on?

I got the P0700 and 705 a couple times. I got a different code with those too, not quite sure what it was.i just cleared the codes and was on my way!

Since i bought my 98 4.0 Auto XJ it has had weird random Elec. Issues causing shifting issues. Nothing that feels Mechanical.

P0700= Trans control System Malfunction.
P0122=Tps/Pedal Pos sensor A circuit Low imput.
P0705=Trans range circuit Malfunction.

After seeing the TPS code i replaced it with several JY units and then eventually 2 New ones....So is there a solenoid inside the trans pan i can replace or whats going on?
You could benefit from this site.
http://www.transonline.com/transdigest/magazines/1997-10/Shift%20Pointers/index.html
At least you can see what some of the codes are...........Page 2

Im gonna try to replace the TCU tommorow does anyone know what year the TCU's are the same? i can get my hand on a couple 2000 model XJ's....would they be a direct swap for my 98?

Last edited:
I've had those codes as well. It was the Transmission Control Module (TCM). I have a 98 as well. It's located under the dash on the driver's side. Just a little silver box. Put in one from a jy, fixed it.

I actually have a spare one. Let me know if you're interested.

I've had those codes as well. It was the Transmission Control Module (TCM). I have a 98 as well. It's located under the dash on the driver's side. Just a little silver box. Put in one from a jy, fixed it.

I actually have a spare one. Let me know if you're interested.
Thank you for your reply Is the box mounted on the left side of the firewall under the DS dash? will a 00 TCM work? and what tools do i need remove it?

just a update i replaced the TCU with a JY unit and the codes when away on the first key cycle. My Highway rpms are back to normal. Only time will tell about the NSS codes.

Back