• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bronco II lockout hubs VS. WARN 5X4.5 lock out hubs.

98XJ

NAXJA Forum User
:wave: Does anyone know what is the real difference between Ford Brnco II (27 spline) lock hubs and Warn 5X4.5 conversion lock hubs?
Warn rep told me that Conversion hubs are a bit stouter.
What is the deal ?
TIA

AFAIK the hubs themselves interchangeable. A friend of ours has replacement Warn hubs on his B2 and they're identical to my Warn 5x4.5's.

I've also used Bronco II Warn hubs on a Milemarker conversion kit. It works too!

they are really the same, for the front and also for the full float kit. i had a set of warn front hubs on my bronco 2 and i put them threw hell and they never gave up...u just have to make sure that u get them off a bronco 2/ranger/explorer with a dana 35 front axle

yep interchangeable. The xj kits were designed using ranger/bII/explorer hubs. I had factory locking manual hubs on my 89 ranger, couldnt break em. I broke the inner stub shaft before I broke the hub.

I guess you could even use auto locking hubs.........and really have a turd axle!!!

soo, could u pull the hubs, rotors, outers, discs, and what else from a bronco 2. then use those to build your own lock out hub kit? sounds interesting. has anyone accualy done this? does it all just bolt up? and it would be awesome if some broncos came with 297 joints. i would guess they used 260 tho.

kolby

I think you still gotta have the custom spindles that let all the pieces fit on the Jeep D30 knuckles, and possibly a spacer or two. No need to get the B2 brakes though I don't think.

lankchevy said:
soo, could u pull the hubs, rotors, outers, discs, and what else from a bronco 2. then use those to build your own lock out hub kit? sounds interesting. has anyone accualy done this? does it all just bolt up? and it would be awesome if some broncos came with 297 joints. i would guess they used 260 tho.

kolby

The Ranger/BII/ Explorer front ends are just like the full size fords. They have races in the rotor and run regular tapered roller bearings that run on the spindle. The conversion basically does this. You would need a spindle made, I dont think the ford one would work for this. Same with the stub shaft. The rotor is another consideration. Otherwise its the same hardware. Im curious, i havent had a ranger/bII/Explorer apart in a few years. You maybe able to make alot of the parts work.

Ford only used the 297/760 u-jont on Ranger/BII/Explorer, axles were D28 or D35 independent (twin I-Beam). Later (95+ ?) used a-arms with a unit bearing.

Some CJ's with D30 have the the same spindle diameter as ford (were the bearing rides).

May be using CJ spindles with ford hubs could work?

There is a difference between the two hubs. I was just reading an artical now can't find it. The pn 37780(1) are an upgraded hub based on the Explorer hub but design for the full float kit. It is a little more robust but they are interchangeable. Warn needs to discontinue the original Explorer/Ranger PN and just sell the new one...

P.S. Also posting because I have an Explorer and want to swap in a D30 from an XJ but keep my hubs(+ spindles, rotors, outshaft, etc)...basically alleviating the $1000 for a hub conversion.

found the link: http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/May04/offroad.htm

Last edited:
I had the warn hubs on my 85 B2 and i put it through hell all the time lol...the only time i thought it was broken was when a buddy of mine hit the passanger side front end and i couldnt get the switch to move...but i just kept workin it and eventually it started working just fine...i drove that thing into the ground lol

Back