• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Relocating air conditioner

abc_was_here

NAXJA Forum User
So I have a strange situation. I am in the middle of building a new to me 1992 XJ, long story short I want to have air conditioning on this build. However I also have a M90 Supercharger that was setup on my previous XJ. Recently I had an idea on moving the air conditioner to below the power steering pump. RHD cherokees have the AC under the power steering pump as do 02~ Wrangler TJs. Im just curious if anyone has done anything like this or has any valuable information before I just start tearing stuff apart when the time comes.

In OZ, with RHD. the A.C. pump is under the power steering etc, and the ALT, is near numbe one spark.
But wow, is this a 4tr?!!! Your blowing?

Seems crowded over there on LHD XJs...

SteerCool2.jpg

In OZ, with RHD. the A.C. pump is under the power steering etc, and the ALT, is near numbe one spark.
But wow, is this a 4tr?!!! Your blowing?

Yes this is a 4.0L, I ran the setup on a jeep I used to use for mud drag racing. It bolts in place of the factory A/C pump. So I know it works pretty well lol

Seems crowded over there on LHD XJs.../QUOTE]

Oh I am very well aware lol I have actually done a head gasket on a RHD with an AC pump there. Its tight but it does fit. Water pump may be more like TJ style where it comes out at a 90 degree angle, which would be easy enough to change. A TJ style AC pump might be more easily accessible though.

Oh I am very well aware lol I have actually done a head gasket on a RHD with an AC pump there. Its tight but it does fit. Water pump may be more like TJ style where it comes out at a 90 degree angle, which would be easy enough to change. A TJ style AC pump might be more easily accessible though.

Well, post what you did here. Always felt the alternator was a bit exposed on XJs...

Well, post what you did here. Always felt the alternator was a bit exposed on XJs...

I think you might be confused at what I am trying to do, I am not planning on messing with the alternator. However I have relocated a alternator on a 88 Cherokee in the past. Id have to dig up exactly what I did.

Anyways im actually planning on trying to move the AC pump this go around to mount a supercharger in its place. If I dont go through with this plan I will probably sell my supercharger kit and build a stroker.

I'm not sure if anybody has done this honestly. I have seen somebody relocated the ac compressor to where the alternator is to run a high mount alternator but that doesn't really help you unfortunately. The only thing I can think to do is find all the RHD brackets and see how they fit and just go for it. I'd be curious to see how it fits myself.

On another note, how's the old 4.0 with a supercharger? I've always wanted to do it just for kicks and giggles.

I'm not sure if anybody has done this honestly. I have seen somebody relocated the ac compressor to where the alternator is to run a high mount alternator but that doesn't really help you unfortunately. The only thing I can think to do is find all the RHD brackets and see how they fit and just go for it. I'd be curious to see how it fits myself.

On another note, how's the old 4.0 with a supercharger? I've always wanted to do it just for kicks and giggles.

Yeah I figured this would be a difficult request. When i get to the point in my build Ill start messing with it.

The 210k 4.0L I ran the supercharger on ran awesome. I only ran 5psi with intention of running 9-10psi. The jeep I installed it on was a raging POS. So visual appearances are not very good. I treated this jeep so poorly and it kept taking the abuse. I sent this jeep air borne at least a dozen times. I used to for my drag racing and we launched in low range on rev limiter.

for viewing employment my giant pile that worked great. Biggest trick is keeping the ECU from knowing whats going on. Yes it ran rich (I didnt see this as a problem since I was going to push more boost anyways)

lZkDnvF.jpg

Again it was functional but not pretty the way I set it up. Next go around will be much nicer and refined since I know it works now.
arSTGBZ.jpg

Back