• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weekend is over...what did you get done?

Oh hey guys... long time no see. Quick update... still on the west coast. Class is currently kicking my rear end. I still don't know where I'm going after here. My F350 is currently racking up a substantial bill at the shop for 6.0L repairs and bulletproofing, which has me evaluating a lot of things. Reality is I'm not in any position to enjoy or support a wheeling habit for awhile, so I think it's time to let go of the Red Rocket and sell the F350 while its still worth something. I'm looking at getting a midsized 4x4 manual truck, for example Tacoma (I would do another MJ if I could find one that meets criteria), to support my outdoor habits and still access streams and crags and campsites, without lugging around 8500lbs of truck with me. Do you know how difficult it is to park a DRW truck in California?!?

On the positive side of things, I have been to some amazing places over here. Yosemite/Lake Tahoe/Big Sur/SF are all breathtaking, but Mammoth Lakes is phenomenal, definitely a place I could live permanently. Top quality fly fishing, rock climbing, hiking, etc... all accessed by dirt road. I stay super busy with our outdoor rec. department taking service members out on all sorts of trips like camping, climbing, skiing, etc.

Hate to hear that. I'd definitely dump that monster truck. Can you just sell it to get what you need? If you need a place or help getting the red rocket somewhere for storage let me know my friend. Thanks for serving! If you have to get rid of both to get what you want what are you thinking they are worth?

Hate to hear that. I'd definitely dump that monster truck. Can you just sell it to get what you need? If you need a place or help getting the red rocket somewhere for storage let me know my friend. Thanks for serving! If you have to get rid of both to get what you want what are you thinking they are worth?

He's got the rocket listed in the FS forum as it's currently at Tyler's. $3k for the Jeep.

Yeah the XJ is listed for $3k plus incentive to have work done with Tyler. The F350 will be listed around $18k. That would get rid of all my debt and provide enough to buy a cheap project. I wish it could be a XJ/MJ but most likely I will wind up with a Toyota (4x4 manual is a must, and most likely a truck bed). I would much rather get back to having a paid for vehicle that I spend money on than having a monthly payment and being financially restricted on improvements and preventative maintenance. I use the bike to get back and forth to work, right now my only use for the truck are weekends and grocery shopping.

Getting ready for a flight.
6f149b35d3b059959ea1054e65898c8f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Atta boy Brady!!! Good reppin. Thanks for your service, man.

Ok so O2 sensors. What's everyone running? I saw Bosch and NTK on Rock Auto's site. Next question. Those that were at the Crawl and first had experienced my running issue. I had it again Saturday at Broken nut. Lennie is convinced it's fuel related. I put a pressure gauge on it Sunday. Read 34 psi which is what it should read. When I unplugged the pressure regulator it only jumped up about 10 - 15 psi. Is that the normal jump? I looked at Oreily's and the pump is rated at 53 psi max. So I would assume that is normal. Plan now is for us to check codes later this week when Lennie can or go back to Broken Nut Saturday with scanner and fuel pressure gauge and ride until we get it to act up......

After having my brown dog motor mounts on and what could easily be 5 years and close to 70,000 miles I figured I could shell out the $40.00 for replacement bushings and replace them.

Get everything off to pull them out and when I get them off I can’t recognize any harsh wear on them:dunno:. I think they could have gone another 50,000 before any sort of rubber failure. I’ll get pics up of the wear on them later.

Ok so O2 sensors. What's everyone running? I saw Bosch and NTK on Rock Auto's site. Next question. Those that were at the Crawl and first had experienced my running issue. I had it again Saturday at Broken nut. Lennie is convinced it's fuel related. I put a pressure gauge on it Sunday. Read 34 psi which is what it should read. When I unplugged the pressure regulator it only jumped up about 10 - 15 psi. Is that the normal jump? I looked at Oreily's and the pump is rated at 53 psi max. So I would assume that is normal. Plan now is for us to check codes later this week when Lennie can or go back to Broken Nut Saturday with scanner and fuel pressure gauge and ride until we get it to act up......

Bosch all the way. Direct fit only, no universal.

After having my brown dog motor mounts on and what could easily be 5 years and close to 70,000 miles I figured I could shell out the $40.00 for replacement bushings and replace them.

Get everything off to pull them out and when I get them off I can’t recognize any harsh wear on them:dunno:. I think they could have gone another 50,000 before any sort of rubber failure. I’ll get pics up of the wear on them later.

I just pulled a set of brown dogs off mine right before the crawl. They had been on for 5 years and seen a lot of offroad use. The bushings finally gave up in them, but they were the poly ones. I replaced them with brown dog rubbers, so we'll see how long they last. Stock bushings would probably have only lasted a year or two tops, so I have no complaints.

I put brown dogs on right before the crawl. At the same time I did the power steering pump, the transmission mount, and locked the rear. I still have a vibration issues I'm chasing. Not sure where they came from, but brown dog does say that it can transmit vibrations.

I believe Denso or NTK would've been the OE supplier for the mopar oxygen sensors depending on time frame. That's what I would stick with. I'm a sales rep for O'Reilly. We carry Bosch, Denso, and ntk sensors. When I still worked in the store we sold more Bosch sensors than either the Denso or NTK, but the failure rate of the Bosch was a lot higher. I remember talking to one of the Bosch reps one year at our manager's conference and he was even saying there are several makes where they recommend going back to the OE sensor instead of theirs. Not that Bosch is a bad sensor, but often times the aftermarket sensor's parameters aren't exactly identical to the OE. Chrysler is especially bad with this. That's why you hear a lot of people recommend going back to the OE for crank sensors and oil pressure senders. The aftermarket just doesn't always jive quite as well as the OE sensor does.

I put brown dogs on right before the crawl. At the same time I did the power steering pump, the transmission mount, and locked the rear. I still have a vibration issues I'm chasing. Not sure where they came from, but brown dog does say that it can transmit vibrations.

If they are all at idle, that's the mounts. I had vibrations after SFR mounts but they are only (mostly) at idle. Same thing from a friend who has Brown Dog/ Rubber bushings. I think its just intrinsic to these kinds of mounts.

Ok so O2 sensors. What's everyone running? I saw Bosch and NTK on Rock Auto's site.

NTK/NGKs only for me. Bosch brand has its place but its not in the O2s - Fuel pump, yea but not O2s.

Last edited:
Interesting. I've run Bosch O2's on everything and never had any trouble. Both foreign and domestic vehicles.

I probably just jinxed myself...

It's funny I looked at Rock Auto and their description even says NTK is the largest supplier of OEM sensors.

I just pulled a set of brown dogs off mine right before the crawl. They had been on for 5 years and seen a lot of offroad use. The bushings finally gave up in them, but they were the poly ones. I replaced them with brown dog rubbers, so we'll see how long they last. Stock bushings would probably have only lasted a year or two tops, so I have no complaints.

I believe the rubber will be better for you? Mine were all rubber.

I encountered vibes right away but I adjusted bolt tension after trying to "break in" the mounts :looney:

Here is the passenger side bushing after 5 years and a lot of miles. All rubber. The driver's side looks just as good. Probably won't replace them for a long time now. Normal wear yes, but I wouldn't say that the bushing was going to fail anytime soon.

Went to the Jeep Meet today in Millersville. Not a huge amount of fun, but ah, got me out of the house. I won't be going back....

There were about 150 Jeeps in attendance, and I'd say I found 5 XJ's. One of my favorites in the event was a black 01 Anniversary Edition WJ. Also, a very clean Jeepster Commando.

The awards were given out based on public vote. They were so subjective. (1) Most tricked out, (2) Muddiest, (3) Best looking, (4) Most lift. Really? I certainly wasn't going to win any of that - although I got 3 votes for Best Looking Jeep - thanks to my own vote and making my daughters vote for me. Most lift? 80% of the Wranglers were taller than me, but they were probably only at 3 inches of lift, but had 37" tires. Most tricked out? When the list of mods include halo headlights, angry eyebrow grill covers, fluorescent coils and tie rods, and bikini tops, those of us with mods that you can't see - say lockers, or drop brackets, or upgraded steering pumps stand no chance. I even had my list of mods printed and taped to my windshield. Rant, rant, rant.

I did think that my best shot at winning something would be based on the RTI ramp scores, because of my wheel base and leaf springs - and the fact that I'd won RTI contests against a bunch of JKs on 35s and 37s before. Nah. They decided to simply go with "whoever goes the highest up the ramp." Well, that is hardly fair. Is an XJ with 32s and a 5" lift going to beat a buggie TJ on 52" tires - nope. At least do it right and measure and calculate based on the wheelbase. My RTI ramp score was an "8" because that is how many crossbars high I got on the ramp. The judge was generous because he didn't stop me before I lifted a tire. Anyway, for your entertainment, here is a video I took from the ramp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVxM5hqlOfQ&feature=youtu.be

Spent my Saturday working on my grandpa's old cabin. I don't get to get up there as much as I'd like. We cleared a ton of grass/brush that has grown up over the last several years. I'm trying to get it cleaned up so my wife is willing to come up there with me. I spent my childhood riding up there in my grandpa's and dad's jeeps. My grandpa had an 84 Pioneer, then a 91 Laredo, then a 99 WJ. My dad bought the 84 and 91 XJ's from him when he upgraded, and got the 99 from him when he passed away. Bouncing around on the trail in the back of those jeeps as a kid is what got me hooked on them as I got older. The cabin is up near mount Rogers in the Grayson highlands in VA. It's one of my favorite places on earth. My goal is to bring the cabin back to its former glory and make it a nice place to get away on the weekends.

e0c0336079b21d3056098df72c2d4665.jpg

fe3b90ba7d18bdff29eebf8778b68d6c.jpg

8ff392b10cfd4cd6025419bf10fe1778.jpg

Here's a picture of my grandpa's 84 on the trail to the cabin. This would've been sometime in the late 80's.

5d6a8b01bb6927f637f0ddc3bb2a168e.jpg

And here's my grandpa beside the XJ and that's my uncle's CJ beside him. You can tell how grown up it is now in comparison to this photo.

e8a788c28e37b1dc471b06e6e365c8bd.jpg

Went to the Jeep Meet today in Millersville. Not a huge amount of fun, but ah, got me out of the house. I won't be going back....

Dirk I feel the same after the last two jeep "meets" I have been to here at the coast. Pretty much a waste of time. I go looking for people local to me that want to caravan on weekend wheeling trips, but everyone has a JK and bolt on mods and only wants to wheel basic shit trails.

Also all of their forums are a joke and no one uses them. I see most activity on facebook and their pages are just dumb posts with jeep memes :banghead:

Thanks god for naxja and Carolina Trail Blazers :patriot:

Picked up a Dana 300. Can't afford tons yet so I figure a new tcase setup is next.

9181690745f0aff21665bd103ff16335.jpg

6fae0569fc85c359e30050243796baaa.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New fuel pump should be here tomorrow. I run up to Broken Nut Saturday for a test I think.

Back