• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear - 3 link vs Parallel 4 link

CLSegraves

NAXJA Forum User
I want to link the rear of my 01 XJ and am trying to decide between a 3 link and parallel 4 link.

Current setup is a 6" lift using OME springs, relocated shackle mounts and BWE Comp Shackles. The axles is a trussed XJ Dana 44 with 4.88s.

I can't do a triangulated (at least not upper triangulated) 4 link because I relocated the battery under the back seat (through the floor where the EVAP canister was) and it blocks the left upper triangulating in.

For context, my front axle is setup with WJ knuckles, spherical heim short arms on drop brackets, and 13" shocks. This gives me a roughly 12" of travel (6" up and 6" down... I welded my lower shock mounts to ride near mid stroke at ride height).

I was considering doing a 3 link and trackbar instead. Reason I thought this was I could easily package the upper link to run above/parallel to the driveshaft and easily make a crossmember that raps up and over. I'm not looking for huge amounts of travel (if I can match the 12" I have up front, fantastic) but really want to get rid of the axle hop I get out of the leaf springs.

For a 4 link, I could always run parallel bars outside the frame (upper mounts in much the same location as the front factory leaf spring mount).

Either one would of course require a trackbar, which I'm okay with fabricating.

Input?

Relocate the battery, otherwise I wouldn't bother.

3-Link will mean panhard, which while doable...I'd pass on for the rear (outside of a tube chassis).

Parallel won't give you enough triangulation either, and as you mentioned, require a panhard.

If you're going to link the rear, go dual-tri or just keep the leafs.

You cant add a cross member to the rear for tri 4 link because of where the battery is relocated? I cant picture it...
If i were to ditch the leafs thatd be the only route Id want to go

just do a slip and twist traction bar, no more axle hop.

I agree, easy to make and adapt.
41400009_zps1ykytwpd.jpg

Back