• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Suspension Issues

mavrick

NAXJA Forum User
I was trying to fix my upper control arm bolts and know i cant get the wholes lined up, the axle moved... my question is could i possible still drive it a few miles on local streets to a shop?

or i guess tips on getting it to work....

Last edited:
Use a ratcheting strap to pull it into place.

Like Joe said, ratchet straps are your friends... This may not help now, but in the future, if you don't plan on changing the lengths of the arms (but need to remove/replace them), ratchet the axle into place using some of the holes in the frame rails before removing any bolts. Makes things a lot easier to get back together.

For now, if the frame is resting on jack stands, use a jack to lift and lower the axle a bit at a time until the hole lines up. It's a tedious process, but it can end up making it a lot easier to get everything back together.

oh ya. jeep can bee suspended or on ground, but ya park will work
you just want something stable toward the rear of the jeep to pull with. rear bumper would work as well but then youll be up against the tank. just hook it as close to the frame mounts as possible on belly and ratchet away....

My coils have always leaned back. The tops are farther to the rear then the bottoms. Is straighten them out similar to this process or is there a lot more involved?

guessing you are lifted? when you lift the front it basically shortens your wheel base. control arms travel in an arc, when you lift the jeep it puts the control arms in a lower part of the arc, thus, shortening the WB, or as you see it, pulls your front axle back closer to the jeep.... in order to eliminate the axle sitting further back, you need adjustable short arms, drob brackets, or another link setup...

Thanks boys.... learn so much from this site. I used a come-a-long and connected it to another car.

Don't forget to unhook that come-a-long! :laugh: :confused1

guessing you are lifted? when you lift the front it basically shortens your wheel base. control arms travel in an arc, when you lift the jeep it puts the control arms in a lower part of the arc, thus, shortening the WB, or as you see it, pulls your front axle back closer to the jeep.... in order to eliminate the axle sitting further back, you need adjustable short arms, drob brackets, or another link setup...

Yep, right on the money. :patriot:

Back