• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Well...the little biatches are back.

Bent

Only Marble Sharp
NAXJA Member
Went around the yard tonight will the flashlight and a can of Raid and got about it dozen of them.

Sounds like black/brown widows.

When I started my war on them I was able to get about a hundred/night. It took me a couple of years to get them knocked down to the level you have.

Nothing is more fun than working under a car and finding one of them residing right where you just put your hand to reach that bolt.

Sounds like black/brown widows.

When I started my war on them I was able to get about a hundred/night. It took me a couple of years to get them knocked down to the level you have.

Nothing is more fun than working under a car and finding one of them residing right where you just put your hand to reach that bolt.

Yup, my one phobia. I was fortunate enough to get them all before they were mature enough to have egg sacks. This time of year I make weekly rounds. If I spot a web I'll wait them out.

I got six more of the little buggers tonight. Most were still immature but two of the black ones were already pregnant.

I'm with you Skwerly.
:shiver:

I thought of this thread this afternoon.

Picked up a fishing tackle box, looked through the contents on one side, then flipped it over to look at the other side. Whaddya know? Mama with an egg sack just sitting right there. I returned her to her maker.

Ew, NOT good.

For many years here (Ben knows about this all too well) I have gone on what I call widow patrol in the early evenings. Normally consisting of a sharp eye and a broom, I go round taking these little bastards out, one by one.

Oddly, I haven't seen any this year, although evidence of them is clear (widow webs are appearing). It's on like Donkey Kong. I really don't like to systematically kill anything, but widows have always been an exception.

Effing latrodectus.

I can spot a widow web from 40' away. I go back to it a couple hours after dark. The older ones don't come out right after it gets dark.

The ultimate spider web remover is Fiberfill stapled loosely on the end of a pole. They cling to it like a magnet.

I came in from the garage this morning for a fillup for my coffee cup and there is one of the little black b****'s walking across a kitchen floor. Fatal mistake on her part; I had shoes on.

I just had to kill 4 of them last night. One was right under the breaker box I was checking, the other tried running back into my tool bag when it saw the light. They all got the chancla.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Back