• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Suspension Issues

I still can't add attachments, pictures of rear suspension, to this thread but I did here:

https://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?p=246708174#post246708174

Got new bumpstops today but have to EZ-out one bolt. Then I'll try to flex and get measurements and maybe better pictures if there's something you guys would like to see to help me out.

Thanks.

A side view showing the spring and the shackle angle would help.

The leaf spring eye bolt is in backwards, and banging on the bumper bracket and gas tank skid plate mount.

With the tire removed, post a picture from the side showing the shackle angle and spring arch.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Something isnt right flat springs won't creat a harsh ride they will be smoothere.

Your shocks are bottoming out, shackle, shackle bolt like mentioned . A shock to short will limit travel and cause harshness ass the axle clanks against it.

Pics would be nice since you already taken all these suggestions saying its not that.

I use tapatalk to post pictures.

Good us some pictures hell hang a go pro under theyre and drive then youl get more help

Looks like some kind of combo leaf spring hold down plate + bump stop is already installed. Also, it looks like the shackle is very close to the back side of the shackle box and could be hitting it when the suspension compresses further.

Pics would be nice since you already taken all these suggestions saying its not that.

Didn't mean to come off as dismissing all the suggestions. I appreciate the input.
Will get more pics posted w/o wheel.

More pics. Duplicate threads now. Will relo and/or drop brackets help or hurt?
f0d4f6575dc0b1c42488e78431cc6575.jpg
417bc3857b1b3578e1705941b82241b1.jpg
1cbed9a4370a655381e3cb233fe1410e.jpg
72f890cd6303d50f77a0371c8e5519ed.jpg

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Well you didn't take a pic of the shackle angle but your springs do seem a little flat.

Shackle bolt is sticking way out. Does it have a witness mark on it.? Othere side?

Springs look fine to me. The flatter the better.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Yes that's the one but you never did take a pic of the rig. By your description your springs aren't carrying the weight.

Mine rides alittle softer with longer shackles at .
My jeep rides pretty darn good with flat springs.

Got to thinking tht your bolt isn't hitting. With a flat spring it cn only get shorter under compression and droop. Its pulling the shackle away from your frame. Pulling twrds the front end.
a117e021e18327971beff3649a42f26b.jpg

Good find. The other side has 2, at each edge of the spring. Looks like a bit of a rub. Low miles on this setup, 50mi. off-road or might be more apparent.

The rear bolt on both bumpstops snapped off, very difficult to drill bolt for ez out. No torch. Wondering if it would be ok to move both stops back an inch (or whatever the minimum I can get away with). Would just drill new holes and use 5/16-18 nurserts to mount.

Since those leaf springs are saggy already, extended shckles will only accelerate the sagging.

Whats this mark from?

Thr shackle hitting there. There are likely marks on the stock bumper bolts coming thru the rear crossmember also.

Those leaf spring look a bit saggy. IDK what they are rated at, but you may have better performance with leaf springs that have a higher spring rate, and/or higher load capacity.

Spring Rate: The amount of force it takes to compress the spring 1 inch expressed in lbs/in. The lower the rate, the softer the spring.

An add-a-leaf can increase the leaf spring carrying capacity, and restore some of the arch. . Adding a leaf to your leaf springs will raise the rear slightly depending on the donor leaf, and the recipient leaf pack on your vehicle, and may affect your ride to feel more rough or stiff.

Mine rides alittle softer with longer shackles at .
My jeep rides pretty darn good with flat springs.

Got to thinking tht your bolt isn't hitting. With a flat spring it cn only get shorter under compression and droop. Its pulling the shackle away from your frame. Pulling twrds the front end.

Same for the shackle hitting the bumper bolts.....

Since those leaf springs are saggy already, extended shckles will only accelerate the sagging.

Thr shackle hitting there. There are likely marks on the stock bumper bolts coming thru the rear crossmember also.

Those leaf spring look a bit saggy. IDK what they are rated at, but you may have better performance with leaf springs that have a higher spring rate, and/or higher load capacity.

Spring Rate: The amount of force it takes to compress the spring 1 inch expressed in lbs/in. The lower the rate, the softer the spring.

An add-a-leaf can increase the leaf spring carrying capacity, and restore some of the arch. . Adding a leaf to your leaf springs will raise the rear slightly depending on the donor leaf, and the recipient leaf pack on your vehicle, and may affect your ride to feel more rough or stiff.

No factory bumper (JCR) but will look more closely for any interference.

These are OME from DPG and he told me the ride would be superior. P/N on the spring is CS033R but doesn't indicate 'A' or 'B' or whatever. Should be HD.

I'm willing to redo the whole spring setup but should figure out what's happening here first I suppose. I did mark the shocks at normal stance, full extend and full compress so when things go back together I can flex it and see where it's at. Also pulled the three 1/2" bump stop spacers off. The passenger side, with a bumpstop, had register marks from the bump on the spacers.
Had a pretty good load in the back including, JCR swing away spare tire bumper with high-lift and 2 rotopax mounted. Plus, a load of recovery gear, fluids, etc. in the cargo area. That's what I want to carry when I get back out there so need the rear suspension to handle that.

Appreciate the patience and input.

Only pic I could find with this setup. Yup, bit of a grade. Not sure if the full load was in the back.
4a943642a24be36623a65f0eabaed424.jpg

The one factory bumpstop is 3". Aftermarket in hand are 4" and looks like too much. Only 1.5" from spring to stop while sitting on stand under the axle. Man, I hope I learn something through all this.

Last edited:
Back