• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Two Questions

alexgalexg

NAXJA Forum User
My Jeep needs a head. Anyone want to recommend a high performance head for it? Its the 4.0 engine.

I was also curious about changing that bearing for the pulley driven fan. You know the one that is built into the ac bracket? Is that changeable or do I have to find some place to buy the whole contraption new. I have a suspicion it squeaks
Thanks all!

My Jeep needs a head. Anyone want to recommend a high performance head for it? Its the 4.0 engine.

I was also curious about changing that bearing for the pulley driven fan. You know the one that is built into the ac bracket? Is that changeable or do I have to find some place to buy the whole contraption new. I have a suspicion it squeaks
Thanks all!

The best bolt on solution that I’ve personally used is actually another stock head. We’re looking for the 7120 head. Early 1990s. I think 90-93? I’ll have to look it up again but it’s widely available. That head has the best ability to be worked by someone and best of all.....it’s stock so it can use the stock gaskets. The only thing you have to do is trim the manifold gaskets. Just remember if you have the head shaved it will probably throw off the valve train.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Head.. Russ P
Pulley.. I recall someone found a way to replace the bearing. Other option is replace the bracket

For the head I would also recommend Russ(Bishop/Beuhl)! After that there's Edelbrock and Hesco. Here's Russ's work on my head.
P1080516_zpsybaiiwn0.jpg

I wanted an Edelbrock head but the problem is they want like 2k for it. And I hear they dont stand by their products. I ended up shooting that Russ guy a message so Ill see how that goes. I found some 0630's online but they all had no reviews and were not new.. Reman only which is a route I would like to avoid if possible. As for the ac bracket I dont have all the puller tools for that method. I think ill just favorite the video and take a bracket off another jeep for now

Russ has options from "mild to wild" so it helps if you have a "direction" that you want go beforehand. I went all the way with him so it wasn't cheap! What year is yours?

Mine is a 1998. Im looking for the best performing head I can put on my 4.0 that will be plug and play. Nothing that would make installation any different from a stock head. If this happened in warmer weather I would be more open to things that might not be quite plug and play but I am stuck swapping a head outdoors in the snow, rain and wind so I dont want this to take any longer than it has to.
Another note is what is the deal with fel pro gaskets. Anyone have problems with their head gaskets? I have always heard they are a good brand but I want to be sure.

All the heads regardless of what has been done are "plug-n-play". You should call Russ and see if he has one "ready to go". Mine took 6+ weeks to get done! As far as Fel-pro goes I've used 1000's and never had a problem!

Which gasket....the head to block....or exhaust/intake?
I bought a felpro exhaust/intake gasket when I put on my header.
The gasket holes were much smaller than the holes on my head.
I ground the gasket holes to match my head.
I was quite surprised since I've never had a felpro product that was inferior such as this one.

Head, valve cover and intake gaskets are all fel pro. Even head bolts are fel pro. I wanted to make sure people still stand by them in recent years before slapping another on. Although Im sure the dealer gaskets are worse now that Chrysler is running the show

Back