• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

231 VS 242 and a sad, funny story

hjeepxj

#OCDINK
NAXJA Member
I have been accumulating some parts for my new build and I just took delivery of my TNT long arm kit today. As I'm getting the pack list out, I read I ordered the one for the 231 Tcase...for some reason, now, after I have already taken delivery of the LA kit, I say to myself "let's verify the Tcase is a 231"...it's a 242...

F'ing assumptions. I can't believe I bone headed that. LOL. Life goes on.

Reason for my post - what are the physical differences? It appears that it may only be the Tcase skid part of the new x-member that is different....is this the case? OR will I need to ship back the whole x-member?

:gee::dunce::gee::dunce:

One of my first thoughts also was to find a 231 and swap it in to avoid having to switch x-members, however after some quick research it appears the 242 is a little more versatile. Is this information correct:

"The difference is that the 242 has an extra differential component to it.
The 231 forces the front and rear tires must turn at the same speed. Bad for dry surfaces. PART TIME.

The 242 allows the front and rear tires to turn at different rates from each other because of the differential in the middle of the transfer case. FULL TIME" ?

End goal in a year or two will be an Atlas II, FWIW.

The outer case of the 242 is larger (stronger). It will hang a little lower. You may need to get a new center

As for the other question, yes the 242 has an additional AWD mode that allows the wheels to turn at different speeds, which is wonderful on the street in rain and snow, and also handy on tight trails that don't require 4-Low

231 can have a Hack n Tap or a HD SYE. 242 only can do Tom Woods or Hack n Tap SYE.

The outer case of the 242 is larger (stronger). It will hang a little lower. You may need to get a new center

As for the other question, yes the 242 has an additional AWD mode that allows the wheels to turn at different speeds, which is wonderful on the street in rain and snow, and also handy on tight trails that don't require 4-Low

Okay, thank you for the info. Just as I suspected, hopefully I can just switch the Tcase skid part of the TNT arm set - I'll post the verdict back here.

231 can have a Hack n Tap or a HD SYE. 242 only can do Tom Woods or Hack n Tap SYE.

You are a wealth of knowledge. :cheers:

I had read this, if I was keeping the tcase long run and not looking to do an Atlas II, I would take this in to consideration.

Good news is the hack-n-tap I ordered from IRO will most likely work.

I would swap a 231 in. They don't have as many features and are mathematically not as strong, but in practice they are more reliable and less expensive to do an SYE on, which it sounds like you are going to require.

I would try and see if the skid comes with enough room to fit with the 242. The actual size difference is surprising though. So you may have to swap something.

Does the 242 have a 6 gear set or 3?

it is only the bolt on rear part for the t case.my tnt kit came w/ the 231 skid & i have a 242 , it only took some minor adjustments to make it work. the 242 skid will hang lower then the 231 one.

Does the 242 have a 6 gear set or 3?
The stock low range planetary is the same 3 pinion setup as the 231 but you can use the 4 or 6 pinion planetaries from ebay (I did).

The AWD differential also uses planetary gears. Early models used 6 pinions, layer models used 3. I have only had one 6 pinion differential, very uncommon and hard to find in good condition.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I would swap a 231 in. They don't have as many features and are mathematically not as strong, but in practice they are more reliable and less expensive to do an SYE on, which it sounds like you are going to require.

It's just not worth it IMO (for my situation). I did confirm with Iron Rock that the Hack and Tap SYE that was on a great sale ($60) for Black Friday will work on a 242. Most likely, an Atlas II will be going in to this Jeep next winter...I just don't want to spend toooo much energy dinking around with swapping in a 231.

I would try and see if the skid comes with enough room to fit with the 242. The actual size difference is surprising though. So you may have to swap something.

Great reference pic! They are quite a bit bigger! :eek:

it is only the bolt on rear part for the t case.my tnt kit came w/ the 231 skid & i have a 242 , it only took some minor adjustments to make it work. the 242 skid will hang lower then the 231 one.

GOOD INFO! This is exactly what I was looking for. What were the adjustments you had to make?

It's just not worth it IMO (for my situation). I did confirm with Iron Rock that the Hack and Tap SYE that was on a great sale ($60) for Black Friday will work on a 242. Most likely, an Atlas II will be going in to this Jeep next winter...I just don't want to spend toooo much energy dinking around with swapping in a 231.

If you plan on putting an atlas in later, I'd get the crossmember for the 242 before you start.

That's a LOT bigger, and won't fit over the 231 one.

If you plan on putting an atlas in later, I'd get the crossmember for the 242 before you start.

That's a LOT bigger, and won't fit over the 231 one.

Very good point, gracias.

The AWD differential also uses planetary gears. Early models used 6 pinions, layer models used 3. I have only had one 6 pinion differential, very uncommon and hard to find in good condition.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Should not post while on the road. The differentials all used 3 pinion gears, but the early models used 6 bolts to hold the planetary together, while later models only used 3 bolts

UPDATE: I called TNT after thinking about what Cal said. I got lucky - TNT is coming down to CO for the Christmas Caravan - they offered to bring the 242 tcase skid with to swap me.

TNT rocks!

I had a 242 in mine and swapped in an Atlas. Then I installed the TNT long arm in the front and ordered it for the 242 I originally had. I still ended up modifying the skid for clearance below the Atlas. Mostly it was the connection between the belly pan and the t-case skid. The Atlas doesn't sit as far back as the 242, or a 231, so it hung down right where the 2 skids bolt together. I cut a section of the lip off, moved it over and welded it back in the new location. Then cut and lowered a section just below the t-case housing just to make sure I had ample room at the low point of the case. If I had clocked the t-case up one more position none of the mod's would have been necessary though.

I had a 242 in mine and swapped in an Atlas. Then I installed the TNT long arm in the front and ordered it for the 242 I originally had. I still ended up modifying the skid for clearance below the Atlas. Mostly it was the connection between the belly pan and the t-case skid. The Atlas doesn't sit as far back as the 242, or a 231, so it hung down right where the 2 skids bolt together. I cut a section of the lip off, moved it over and welded it back in the new location. Then cut and lowered a section just below the t-case housing just to make sure I had ample room at the low point of the case. If I had clocked the t-case up one more position none of the mod's would have been necessary though.

WOW - great info!! Do you have pics?

Also, why not just re clock the tcase? It obviously isn't as easy as it sounds...

The clocking isn't too hard since the mounting ring on the Atlas has holes that allow you to easily change where you put the mounting studs. But you usually have to do a bit of modifying (hammering) to the tunnel since the Atlas will hit when it's clocked up. I just didn't feel like doing the hammer-fit-hammer-fit exercise. The Atlas is just too dang heavy to lift in and out a bunch of times when you're working alone.
Here's a link to the thread I did when I installed the TNT kit. http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1106203 . Hopefully that works for you. I can email them to you if you like.

Many people prefer the 231( I disagree with the reasons why) but anyway it's a popular swap. I have one available if you wanna trade

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

The clocking isn't too hard since the mounting ring on the Atlas has holes that allow you to easily change where you put the mounting studs. But you usually have to do a bit of modifying (hammering) to the tunnel since the Atlas will hit when it's clocked up. I just didn't feel like doing the hammer-fit-hammer-fit exercise. The Atlas is just too dang heavy to lift in and out a bunch of times when you're working alone.
Here's a link to the thread I did when I installed the TNT kit. http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1106203 . Hopefully that works for you. I can email them to you if you like.

That works perfect! There really wasn't much modification, thank you for the clarity!

:cheers:

Back