• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Metal windshield trim

bzdel2441

NAXJA Forum User
I would like to know how to remove the metal windshield trim that there is. I do not want to reuse it so that is not a problem. I am going to be getting a 1 peice rubber gasket along with a new winsheild but I would like to check for frame rot beofre i take it in. Can I just take a pair of plyers and rip the metal off os is there another way?

Thanks
Chirs

bzdel2441 said:
I would like to know how to remove the metal windshield trim that there is. I do not want to reuse it so that is not a problem. I am going to be getting a 1 peice rubber gasket along with a new winsheild but I would like to check for frame rot beofre i take it in. Can I just take a pair of plyers and rip the metal off os is there another way?

Thanks
Chirs

Use a flathead screwdriver and pop off the trim, its fairly easy.

you can install the newer rubber gasket in place of the F' d up metal dirt catching rust uninhibiting trim.

It's a good thing to do.

red91inWA said:
you can install the newer rubber gasket in place of the F' d up metal dirt catching rust uninhibiting trim.

It's a good thing to do.

The original trim clips attach to little studs in the windshield frame. I found that you can use the rubber gasket without removing them if the windshield is well centered in the hole. If in doubt, and 100 percent sure that you'll never revert to the metal trim, you can break off the little studs with impunity.

Oh, and add to Red's list of annoyances of the metal trim, noisy.

jjvande said:
what does it look like under the trim...i want to remove it as well, but just for looks.

theres nothing the but the crap you've collected since it left the show room.

taking it off for looks will leave you with nothing.

nothing will happen though if I remove the trim though right? I just want to check for rot because i have a leak..Its prob. just a poor seal but it wouldnt hurt to look.

bzdel2441 said:
nothing will happen though if I remove the trim though right? I just want to check for rot because i have a leak..Its prob. just a poor seal but it wouldnt hurt to look.

If you remove the trim it will not cause harm to the windshield or any new leaks. However, you need to be pretty careful how you do it, because the little plastic clips that hold the trim break easily, especially when they're old and brittle, and it's pretty tricky to get the trim back on, trickier yet if you've distorted the trim. You might find yourself needing a lot of goop to stick it back. It's not uncommon, though, to find rust between the windshield sealing bead and the body, causing a leak, so if you can do it you might benefit from getting in there and checking/resealing. Or of course you could follow the next big dump truck full of gravel down a dirt road, and get it fixed when you put the new windshield in.
:laugh3:

I spoke to a windshield guy the other day about this - he was pretty rude about the metal trim and how good it was - not. He said that his company always replace the metal trim with the newer rubber strip when putting in new windshields, and added that the metal ones are almost always impossible to refit if you take it off to look for leaks, for example. He also said that the early windshields have to be cut out from the seal in any case, so I'd say it sounds like a good reason to upgrade if you are having the windshield out...

Back