• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

any tips for timing chain

ehall

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I'm planning to replace the timing chain on my pos in a couple of weeks and looking for tips. The last time I did this (years ago) the motor was on a stand, this time doing it while the motor is still installed. Do I need to pull the radiator? Anything special about the gap between the timing cover and oil pan gaskets? I already bought a Mopar chain, the Fel-Pro TCS 45458 gasket kit, a Sealed Power guide, and a Dorman harmonic balancer (just to reset the maintenance interval).

Thanks

I think you have chosen a wise course. The rubber in the original dampeners is in pretty poor condition by this time.

What is the Sealed Power guide?

Is that the replacement for the used-to-be-rubber chain dampener? Or is it an alignment tool for the cover?

You probably want both of the above.

I don't think you need to remove the radiator. IIRC the puller clears below the radiator. But all the accessories have to come off the passenger side of the engine. If you have AC you will want to support the compressor off to the side so you don't have to open the lines.

Mopar chain(and gears) was your first default, send it back and buy a good chain.

For the best get a Roll-master.

No need to remove the radiator.

Might wanna get a new rubber block while you're at it.

Who knows on parts quality these days?

Most every name brand company has outsourced to C.R.A.P.
Chinese Replacement Auto Parts

The factory chain and sprocket setup can last hundreds of thousands of miles. Unless you are running some kind of racing Jeep I don't see why you'd need to improve upon it? I have changed them in both of my 4.0's when I pulled the timing covers off to reseal the lower end. One Jeep had 340k on it when I did it, and I think even the sprockets looked fine. I probably could have slapped it back together but I curious to compare against new. The other Jeep had 185k and I'm it's forth owner. The chain did not appear to be excessively stretched but there was some grooving on the sprockets. I used Mopar parts on one and by the time I got to the other one I could not get a complete set from Mopar (at least one part went NLA) so I used a timing set from NAPA.

Back