• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BUILD: My 1987 "Wagoneer" XJ Limited

How are you getting along with the Waggy? Finished yet? Getting curious here! :)

Thanks for asking! The Summer months don't allow me time to work on the XJ. But come Fall... I'll be back!

Cool! I guess your intention is not to sell it when you're done? Why should you after all the work...? :) Let me know otherwise, I'll buy it in a heartbeat!!!

Tried-and-True Merchants

Re-starting my winter project...

Below are merchants I've used with great success:

1) http://www.glassrestorationinc.com/how-to-find-us.php I sent my driver's door glass (you know the one that always gets scratched)... Deep scratches gone... Looks like new and I preserved to have all matching glass logos/etching.

2) http://atlantahydroimaging.com/ Woodgrain-wrapping - Professional, good-communicators, flexible on changes/modifications.

3) http://www.julianos.com/seat_belts.html Sent my old worn-out seat-belts/buttons/casings... Came back all-matching like new!

Sentry Stuff

Here's whats I know...

Sentry1_zpswriudr8i.png

Sentry3_zpsusqsnzwl.png

Sentry%20Wiring_zpswqfxhxtz.jpg

Sentry_zpsdaamo56r.jpg

IMG_6711_zps4rnia9ps.jpg

So... Although I don't have the sensors connected... At least I can reassemble the dash.

I love seeing progress on this build.

Here's whats I know...

IMG_6711_zps4rnia9ps.jpg

So... Although I don't have the sensors connected... At least I can reassemble the dash.

I'm interested in what sensors are used and a way to make them work for my XJ

Sentry Sensors

I'm interested in what sensors are used and a way to make them work for my XJ

There are sensors that interface to each of the components (engine-coolant, washer-fluid, etc.,). For me now that the display and (blue) interface-box are installed... I will need to source each of the sensors, then connect them to the blue-box/display as per the enclosed wiring-diagram.

I've seen on of those clock sensor read outs once in a junk yard almost ten years ago, it was a 86 with a 2.8 and California emissions so it had a computer I though that clock/display ran through.
It had some other cool stuff I grabbed, still have the limited leather/cloth rear seats in my 85 Xj, which is a Waggoner but I always the people Cherokee because it confused with the big Waggoner at the parts counter.

Hey Since it looks like you have the factory gauges I was wondering if you've seen the problem the printed circuit for the gauges failing and peeling away ?

I ended up upgrading to the newer style cluster because of it. I tried to find a replacement printed circuit but there were none left in the jeep inventory any where. Every used cluster I've ever found around here had a failing printed circuit too.

Sentry follow-up

I've seen on of those clock sensor read outs once in a junk yard almost ten years ago, it was a 86 with a 2.8 and California emissions so it had a computer I though that clock/display ran through.
It had some other cool stuff I grabbed, still have the limited leather/cloth rear seats in my 85 Xj, which is a Waggoner but I always the people Cherokee because it confused with the big Waggoner at the parts counter.

For sure... When stating "Wagoneer"... Folks, even Chrysler folks, think Grand Wagoneer. Now the Chrysler old-timers know of which we speak... Some of the younger folks know them as the "Little" version of the Grand Wagoneer.

I feel compelled to say... Although there are a lot of folks with, and interested in, Grand Wagoneers (Me too as I own one)... The Wagoneer XJ Limited is far more rare.

OEM Gauges

Hey Since it looks like you have the factory gauges I was wondering if you've seen the problem the printed circuit for the gauges failing and peeling away ?

I ended up upgrading to the newer style cluster because of it. I tried to find a replacement printed circuit but there were none left in the jeep inventory any where. Every used cluster I've ever found around here had a failing printed circuit too.

No problem with mine that I know of.

For sure... When stating "Wagoneer"... Folks, even Chrysler folks, think Grand Wagoneer. Now the Chrysler old-timers know of which we speak... Some of the younger folks know them as the "Little" version of the Grand Wagoneer.

I feel compelled to say... Although there are a lot of folks with, and interested in, Grand Wagoneers (Me too as I own one)... The Wagoneer XJ Limited is far more rare.

I agree. My base or custom (forget what they called it in 85) wagoner is somewhat unique but the limited is a very rare bird IMO. Part of why I snatched all the parts I could from a limited with the same red interior back when I came across it. But my old 85 is never going to be restored to a factory condition, it's had too hard a life long before I saw it and I've been building it up since the late 90's upgrading the axels and other components as needed.

No problem with mine that I know of.

Wow, maybe it's the heat down south that kills them. Although I bought mine out west originally and it wasn't long before I had to replace the original cluster because it was failing. (Weird thing was when I put a full cluster in the engine already had the right senders, not the ones for the idiots lights the original cluster had. My only guess is somebody swapped the motor sometime)

Early 2000's a old timer at the jeep parts counter tried to help me find the circuit board the close as we came was the first year of the new style. I bought it anyway for under $9 because jeep was clearing them out and it was almost nonexistent. It's sitting in my parts hoard waiting to be needed.
But my luck with the 84-87/88 clusters was very bad.

Rear Air Deflector Blade

A good friend who is always on the look-out for me... Found this hard-to-find rear air-deflector (blade). The material is a brushed-aluminum. It is currently at the paint-shop where is will be coated/painted/sanded to a smooth finish to match the OEM paint/finish; Including the mounting-brackets and screw-covers.

XJ%20014_zps9vjcutvk.jpg

Let me do some research and I'll be back!

Last edited:
If purchasing by part #, which I suggest, here they for a Wagoneer:

Untitled_zps1wsykoxp.png

Headlamps

NAPA for the headlamps. If I remember... I could not find them on their website... I visited my local NAPA store to cross-reference.

#10 & 11 Bezels... Search eBay.

Back