• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project Unicorn - a light duty trail rig

Clarify "washed out" bearings......as in, lack of proper lubrication destroyed the bearings?
I ask because I've only every heard this term used when there has been a contaminant introduced into the oil, such as fuel or coolant, which impairs lubrication.

If this situation happened to me, the level of pissed would be way over the "somewhat" category!!

Clarify "washed out" bearings......as in, lack of proper lubrication destroyed the bearings?
I ask because I've only every heard this term used when there has been a contaminant introduced into the oil, such as fuel or coolant, which impairs lubrication.

If this situation happened to me, the level of pissed would be way over the "somewhat" category!!

Thins the oil out to the point that it does not maintain a fluid barrier.

Same thing happens if the oil starts off that thin..

I'm maybe a little less bothered by engine failure than you are. In my case it means I get to spend a little more time with a couple of my best friends, where we have difficulty making time for each other normally.

91 is roughly $.025 a gallon more most of the time, around here. $7.50 more for a (30 gallon) tank of gas that conservatively will take me 450 miles (assuming 15 mpg, I'm getting 18 so far though). Roughly $0.016 more per mile in fuel costs.

Even if the increase in price to 91 is double what i calculated, I'm going to pay 3 cents a mile more?

Heck, if 91 here was only 2 1/2 cents more than regular, I'd run it all the time too.............

($.025 is the same as 2.5 cents :roflmao:)

I may have missed it earlier in this thread but have you reworked the transmission? I'm curious what mods the aw4 would need to handle a proper stroker such as yours. I'm jealous of your attention to detail...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

the shop I had change my oil (i brought my own oil and filter) did not appear to have used the oil I provided. What I drained from the pan looked like maybe 5w10, and it appears to have washed my bearings out. Within 20 miles I had lost all oil pressure.

Can we assume that this so-called shop will be compensating you for this?

Can we assume that this so-called shop will be compensating you for this?

Generally speaking, bring your own parts and you are on your own.

I would be well beyond ticked. But then this is why I hardly ever let a shop do anything on my vehicle. Even for tire changes, I take them just the rims. They don't get to touch the vehicle.

Generally speaking, bring your own parts and you are on your own.

I would be well beyond ticked. But then this is why I hardly ever let a shop do anything on my vehicle. Even for tire changes, I take them just the rims. They don't get to touch the vehicle.

I agree, but when they don't install the parts you gave them (in the case special oil), and it ****s your vehicle up...it's on them.

I agree, but when they don't install the parts you gave them (in the case special oil), and it ****s your vehicle up...it's on them.

The problem is, it's next to impossible to prove that they used the wrong oil. I saw what came out and it was like water, but when it comes right down to it cal is in a he said she said situation. He knows what he gave them and knows what came out didn't look right, but if they say they put in what he gave them it's pretty hard to prove otherwise unfortunately.

The problem is, it's next to impossible to prove that they used the wrong oil. I saw what came out and it was like water, but when it comes right down to it cal is in a he said she said situation. He knows what he gave them and knows what came out didn't look right, but if they say they put in what he gave them it's pretty hard to prove otherwise unfortunately.

Gotcha, I thought it being more along the lines of:

"Use the oil and filter that is sitting in the back"

Only to find the oil and filter still sitting in the back.

Reason number 234235 I'd never trust shop monkey oil changes.

I've known several who've had major issues after an oil change...anything from their motor needing replaced due to a forgotten oil pan plug, stripping it and requiring a new pan, etc. etc.

It's the tax I will pay for not wanting to get my hands dirty. Thankfully it will cost me a lot of labor and almost no money - bearings are cheap.

I may have missed it earlier in this thread but have you reworked the transmission? I'm curious what mods the aw4 would need to handle a proper stroker such as yours. I'm jealous of your attention to detail...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Doesn't require anything. Will eventually get a shift kit and probably a fresh stock torque converter

Well, the good news is GLOM is fine.

A combination of chain of events, being too busy to properly diagnose (I left town the day after the oil pressure was lost), being too confident to actually triple check things and a bad sending unit. :/

If it wasn't for the timing against the oil change and the oil being so thin I probably would not have assumed and actually put a mechanical gauge on the car, but I did so yesterday and got better numbers. New sending unit and everything is good.

Well, the good news is GLOM is fine.

I'm happy to hear it lives, I want to see you put some miles on this one!

Back