• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WJ power steering pump upgrade vs PSC pump upgrade

I need to learn more about this hydro assist from an astro van!! What ever that is...

With the extra hole on the wj box, can you then tap steering gear box once for hydro assist?? Just one line since the dubj pump comes with an extra hole, and run one from each to the ram?

What was this hole used for on the dubj?? A cooler? Why just plug it? Does it not come with the cooler? I nees to find a wj friend and inspect..

Last edited:
I think a bolt with rtv is ok.. Or a line ran and cut with a bolt and rtv and a hose clamp.

Are moat of you getting these at junk yards or from the VatoZone?

I put a rubber cap and a clamp on it and it started leaking. I hope it didnt burn up the pump. I was thinking some epoxy might work, or throwing a y joint in it and just having both return ports connected.

What was this hole used for on the dubj?? A cooler? Why just plug it? Does it not come with the cooler? I nees to find a wj friend and inspect..

It was for a cooler. Had a wj, took off pump and cooler, using cooler for transmission cooler, have pump as a reserve when my current stock pump gives out. Running bfg 32's 255/75r17 (actual 31.5) and don't feel the need to upgrade yet. Looks like it's direct bolt on a 97+ xj.

Just a word to the wise. Make sure and feed the return low pressure line to the nipple on the bottom of the tank, not the one on the side. It is tempting, but if you do, you will fight cavitation and horrible noise.

hoping I can get a response from a thread from so long ago. I’m putting a wj pump in my xj; wondering why the xj hp fitting was put into the wj hp fitting to drill it out hooli? In your process did you use both fittings once installed into the xj? Did you use the xj hp line into the xj hp fittting INTO the wj hp fitting? Or did you make new hp lines (or have someone make) hp line with wj pump fitting and xj gear box fitting? Where I’m at is have both xj and wj pumps and reservoirs on my bench and have the xj hp fitting out on bench (wj fitting is still in the pump) I guess I’m wondering if a quick step by step could be laid out from here. Best course of action.

When sourcing the pump is it just the 4.7 v8 wjs? I already have a cooler so im wondering if i can use the extra line instead of capping it.... Its not really making sense to me tho- where does it go from the cooler? And why does it need an extra line instead of just having the cooler in line?

Back