• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 44 in a 1999

kumes12688

NAXJA Forum User
Hello,
I have to replace the rearend in my jeep. Right now it has a Dana 35 in it. My friend has a Dana 44 from a 1994 xj that he is willing to sell me, but I am wondering if it will fit in my 99 without modifications, and if there is modifications required what will they be. I am pretty sure it will fit but I just want to make sure.
Thanks

I have a D44 in my '99. You will have to use your ebrake cables though, not the ones that came on the d44 as they changed them at some point.

D44's did not come stock in '94 XJ's, only in '87-'89. Make sure it is a D44 before you buy it, and see if he installed it.

kumes12688 said:
... Dana 44 from a 1994 xj that he is willing to sell me ....
Not that came stock...
Make sure it really is a D44 that he's selling you. Unless he or someone else put it there, its not on. A D44 rear axle for that year is not original.

kumes12688 said:
i do have abs so what would i have to do
You'll have to get rid of it.
Edit: CanMan beat me to it

kumes12688 said:
i do have abs so what would i have to do

You can not have ABS and a D44 unless you are really good at fabrication. Just disable the ABS by pulling the ABS fuses and relays. The ABS junk can stay where it is at - it will do nothing and harm nothing.

I put a Chry8.25 in my 2000 to replace a D35 w/ABS. No problems.

So all I have to do to get rid of my Anti-lockBrakeShitstorm is pull the fuses/relay? And nothing negative will happen? btw I too have the '99...

what about the gear ratios? I heard that the tranny will burn out if you have 3.55 in the front and 4.10 in the rear like i would if i put the d44 in. Is this true?

kumes12688 said:
what about the gear ratios? I heard that the tranny will burn out if you have 3.55 in the front and 4.10 in the rear like i would if i put the d44 in. Is this true?
if your gonna put in a new axle you should regear both ends while your at it. That is only true if you have 4WD engaged. But whats the point of not regearing?

im sportin a 99 with a 44 out back and it was a a straight hook up. and yes regear it at both ends iv got 4.10s and they make me happy.:D

kumes12688 said:
Its not really the tranny that will burn up, its more of the axle shafts/ring&pinion and/or t-case will break. My friend picked up a YJ last summer and the PO never told him there was two different gear ratios in the axles, so he came off the beach and broke both axles and the t-case.

You will be fine with different gear ratios in the front and rear as long as you do not engage 4wd. I currently have 4.56 in the rear, and 3.55 in the front, but my Jeep really isn't drivable, and its only until I finish with my front axle.

kumes12688 said:

nothing will happen until you shift into 4wd.. then the difference in gearing will bind your transfer case and if you put power to it you'll break the case in 1/2... thats for the 231 t/case. if you have a 242 full-time case you will over-heat it and burn out the clutches. trany should be fine.

Back