• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TPS problems.

justins99xj

NAXJA Forum User
Today as I rounded a corner in my neighborhood my 97 xj dies without any warning, as result I almost took out a brick mailbox (no power steering). So with a check engine light on I make a trip to Auto Zone for a diagnostic, TPS sensor. Buy the part and replace it. back to Auto Zone to clear the code, Done. On the way back home same problem. I replaced it again thinking maybe the sold me a bad sensor, no luck. Well after trying the third time to no avail. After a search with no luck here I am. Im thinking it could be a damaged wire in the harness to the computer. I checked any connections I could find. Just wanted to see if anyone might have experience with a similar issue and if there is anything I missed before I rip into the harness.
Thanks.

If you have replaced the TPS twice and you are STILL getting a code for the TPS circuit, then you indeed need to verify the connector and the entire wiring circuit for the TPS.
Try a good spray of electrical contact cleaner inside of the connector in the event there is some corrosion/debris/resistance there. Reinstall with a small dab of dielectric grease.

What Check Engine Light Trouble code or codes were downloaded. Always post the exact trouble codes and your engine/transmission/transfer case/model year info.

Just because the code relates to an engine sensor doesn't mean the sensor itself is the source of the problem. They also have wire connectors and wire harnesses that could alter the signal or prevent it from reaching the ECM.

The trouble codes give you a clue to the system or area to focus your logical and step by step trouble shooting and diagnostic efforts.

If a sensor throws a signal it's doing it's job. Does it run rough? you should check compression in the cylinders too because you could be having other problems.

I don't buy the TPS killing the engine.

As the problem remains after three different TPS units have been tried I feel confident in my position.

As said, post the codes themselves, not the counter monkey's interpretation.

For those competent parts professionals out there, no offense intended. For the counter monkeys--go get a job as a pharmacist, you will do less damage there.

Last edited:
Gosh, you mean the chain parts stores free diagnosis isn't any good? No way!

As in life, its worth just what you pay for it. :cheers:

Back