• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ATF in the NSS?

Ratman

NAXJA Forum User
i recently had to cut my old nss off because i broke it trying to pry it off. in the meantime i sprung a slight leak of the seal on my transmission. Now my jeep wont start i think it is because there is some atf fluid in the nss. I added anti seize this time but the problem is the shaft is slightly bent and i cant get the new nss off... should i just bypass the Nss, is it ok to permanently bypass it as long as i start it only in park and or neutral?

it shouldn't hurt anything mine has been bypassed for almost four years now due to a no start condition and me being a cheapass ;) however getting ATF in the NSS shouldn't cause much of a problem, it's not a completely sealed unit (which is why the damn things get so dirty and fail in the first place). Are your reverse lights coming on? due to the bent shaft it may not be lining up with the contacts correctly inside the switch itself :dunno:

Successfully bypassing the NSS seems to depend on what year, as the later models seems to have issues locking up the t/c if the NSS is bad and may throw a check engine light.

Your other postings said its an 89, which should be fine to bypass. Mine is bypassed simply because I neglected to wire that part when I replaced the 5-speed with the AW4 auto. I don't have to put in park to turn the key back to off either.

It depends on what you mean by "bypass".

If you are talking about defeating the starter relay interrupt unless you are in PARK or NEUTRAL, well, not the wisest thing to do--does anybody else use your XJ; do you have others work on your XJ--if yes, then you are putting others at risk. Other than that, and you can live with any injuries or property damage you may cause, then there shouldn't be any issues.

However, you can't "bypass" the whole NSS--it provides input to the TCU on the physical location of the gear selector.

Back