• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3" to 4.5 rear lift opinions

Afireinside

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so a couple of years ago I put a full 3"lift on my xj,including rear springs. I wanna go to a 4.5". What are everbodys opinions on going to 4.5 in the rear. I have a few ideas,my rear springs are fairly stiff so I'm trying to avoid add a leaf.
Option 1 extended rear shackle? Please post the best one and why. I have always wanted to try revolvers? I know either loved or hated.
Option 2 a 1.5" lift block or combo of a block and small extra leaves or zero rate bolted to the pack.

Any other ideas would be awesome too.
Thanks

You didn't say what year? But your biggest challenges will be control arms, steering, and driveshaft(as in SYE).

It's a 95. Not concerned with the front end yet. Just looking for opinions on the rear,probably gonna figure out a rear sye. I have a 242 and plan on keeping it. I plan on working rear to front.
Thanks

Define "best" ?

What is the budget, and what compromises are you willing to accept ?

Extended shackles work on any leaf springs that are not stock, and most likely will provide an acceptable pavement ride. I have no complaints about my JKS extended shackles. An extra stock XJ Cherokee leaf installed into the spring pack will add about 1/2 - 1 inch of lift without changing the spring rate too much. Shackle relocation brackets can provide some lift and can improve shackle angles. Revolver shackles are useless gimmicks. Lift blocks are for mall crawlers.

Last edited:
Honestly, no best lol. I have a full 3" rear spring lift. Factory everything else. I wanna do 75 on the Hwy and have no problems now. So extended shackles and longer new shocks?

Blocks are just bad for everything. Maybe some new spring packs and shackles not ever 1" extended(2" oal).

I have new 3" springs, not gonna replace those. Looking for an additional 1.5 " another way. Yes blocks are bad on 20 year old springs. I have new stuff rear springs and I'm looking for opinions on a slight lift,with no extra stiffness.
Thanks

I have new 3" springs, not gonna replace those. Looking for an additional 1.5 " another way.
I have new stuff rear springs and I'm looking for opinions on a slight lift,with no extra stiffness.
Thanks

Have you installed these springs to see what they netted?
What brand are they?

.... Looking for an additional 1.5 " another way.

1 inch lift shackles, and if necessary a stock XJ Cherokee leaf installed into the spring pack. The stock XJ leaf will add about 1/2 - 1 inch of lift and barely change the spring rate.

I've got a set of IRO 1"/1.5" shackles(NIB) if your interested in going that route!

Revolver shackles are about the most worthless thing ever. Had em, tried em, changed em out for a regular shackle. They're really good at unloading when you don't want them too.

PM sent

Back