• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can openers

Oatmeal

NAXJA Forum User
You're probably saying "WTF" but, I needed a place to bitch and rant!

Why is it impossible to find a decent can opener anymore?
Seems like every one that I've bought in the last 10yrs has been a total pos!
They might work for a week or two then, they no longer cut through the lid or hold on to the can rim, doesn't matter how much (or little) I've spent on them, they all end up useless.
I even bought one of those electric ones that uncrimps and removes the lid without leaving a sharp edge.....worked great for a couple of months, now I need needle nose pliers to peel the lid off the rest of the way!
I now find myself using a GI P38 to open cans, what the hell!
Is it the quality of can openers in general (nothing is made in the USA anymore) or the quality of the actual cans?
Rant off.
Thoughts?
Hans

Go to the thrift store.
Find a can opener that looks like it is old enough to be owned by your grandmother.
That is what I did.
15 years but it does feel like it is starting to not operate entirely properly lately.
LOL.

I hear you.

I fight the same battle.

The "Swing-a-way" has been my standard for decades. New ones are garbage and have been so for a long time. The one The Bride and I bought 25+ years ago started having issues within 5 or so years. I was able to extend that one's life by disassembling part of the drive mechanism and shimming it with a thin, brass washer that I pulled from my plumbing parts box. I got at least another 15 years out of that one, but it finally wore out. The ones I have found since then I have not been able to figure out how to make work properly.

The only "solution" I have come up with is to turn the can opener 90 degrees and take off the whole top of the can rather than just the lid. I don't like this method as it leaves an excellent cutting edge all along the top of the can, just the thing to slice someone's wrist if they aren't paying attention, but at least it gets me into the can. As for The Varmints, they typically end up using the can opener on their Leatherman.

And yes, I keep an eye out at the thrift store. I have yet to find one that is old enough and yet still serviceable.

It is just one more symbol of the decline of the greatest nation on earth. We can't even make a decent can opener.

I hear you.

I fight the same battle.

The "Swing-a-way" has been my standard for decades. New ones are garbage and have been so for a long time. The one The Bride and I bought 25+ years ago started having issues within 5 or so years. I was able to extend that one's life by disassembling part of the drive mechanism and shimming it with a thin, brass washer that I pulled from my plumbing parts box. I got at least another 15 years out of that one, but it finally wore out. The ones I have found since then I have not been able to figure out how to make work properly.

The only "solution" I have come up with is to turn the can opener 90 degrees and take off the whole top of the can rather than just the lid. I don't like this method as it leaves an excellent cutting edge all along the top of the can, just the thing to slice someone's wrist if they aren't paying attention, but at least it gets me into the can. As for The Varmints, they typically end up using the can opener on their Leatherman.

And yes, I keep an eye out at the thrift store. I have yet to find one that is old enough and yet still serviceable.

It is just one more symbol of the decline of the greatest nation on earth. We can't even make a decent can opener.
Great advice!
My little P38, the military can opener not the pistol, (although a 9mm slug would work.....just messy!) works better than anything else I've had in recent years!
I ordered a lot of 10 P51s (bigger version) from Amazon, made in the 🇺🇸 by the original supplier to the military, until I find something acceptable.
Hans

Yeah, it's hit or miss with those. Sometimes I can get one at pic n save that lasts forever, and sometimes i pay good cash for one from some nice place and it craps out on me in weeks. i can't stand the elec jobs, either. Very annoying.

and, hi, hans! :)

OXO Good Grips makes one, available at Target, and other places. Large handles, much easier to grip than the cheapies. I make soup every year for our Histerical Society (100 gallons) and have to open about 24 #10 cans for it. My hands survive quite well. I've been using that same opener for 10 or so years. The new ones are the same as what I have.

https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Good-Grips-Can-Opener/dp/B00004OCJW/ref=asc_df_B00004OCJW/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167134584690&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=18220351903130461779&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9058780&hvtargid=pla-103773418566&psc=1

Bear in mind that the bottle opener on the about unit is near worthless. The steel is too thin, and so it's difficult to get the opener aligned with the ridges on the bottle cap.

Putrefied Chef also makes a quality unit that uncrimps the top. The trouble is it is oriented 90 degree from "normal", and after a dozen cans, it hurts my wrist. It does do a clean edge that won't cut you, and even includes a gripping "pliers" spot that removes the lids without touching them.

For overall use, I'd get the Good Grips.

David Bricker / SYR

David,
Thanks for those links but, after reading through all the negative reviews (I always read those first), I kept looking and came across this: Check this out on Amazon
KORIN m Can Opener (Ganji Kankiri) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001TV6A7G/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_VXWV4TH3KNFDBZRXQQV8?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
It looks like a larger more refined version of my trusty P38.....what could be better!
I'll check back when I receive it and have a chance to try it out!
Thanks to all that put up with my bitching and that share my frustration!
Hans

Good excuse to buy a Plasma Cutter. Just sayn'

Yeah, but the air compressor cycling on and off during dinner just ruins the ambience.

Those are interesting.

I see why he likes those ones that puncture the center of the lid and then make a continuous cut all the way around.

I was also intrigued by that last one that worked off the corner of the can. He didn't seem to like it (worry about cutting the other hand), but I would love to try one.

I wonder how long it is before those need to be re-sharpened. It seemed like at least one of the ones he was trying was in need of some sort of edge maintenance. I think that is the advantage of the modern cutting wheel type of can openers--their edges probably hold up better in the long run--provided they are manufactured with half an eye toward quality.

I can't recall ever seeing any of those sort of can openers in the wild, though I suppose I may have seen them and not even registered what I was looking at. However, I do tend to gravitate towards things I don't understand.

Yes, those are interesting, and I guess they'd work in a pinch. But opening 24 #10 cans in a sitting with any of those would result in A) sore hands and/or B) a trip to the ER.

I'll stick with my OXO Good Grips opener.

David Bricker / SYR

What this thread needs is a video, slo-mo included, of someone opening a can of beans with a 50 BMG.

Sadly, I cannot find such a video.

What this thread needs is a video, slo-mo included, of someone opening a can of beans with a 50 BMG.

Sadly, I cannot find such a video.

I have an even better idea! Buuuuut...since I'm already on at least one "watch list", I'll just keep it to my self.

Back