• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1st Trip - Chidago Canyon

HawkZero

NAXJA Forum User
Took wife and kid out on first "offroad" journey. Thats why I got a jeep anyway right? Anyway, Chidago Canyon is about 16 miles north of Bishop on Route 6. The offroad bit isn't anything more serious than a sandy dirt road down a canyon wash, but its definitely not pavement.

The first part was a graded gravel road to see the Chalfant Petroglyphs which were interesting but not overly exciting. Kinda weird art form from 100s of years ago.
petroglyphs.jpg

After that we proceeded down the canyon and about halfway to the next site, the jeep overheated while running the AC and ended forward progress. Stopped to let it cool etc and then went back to the highway.

DSC_5810.jpg

Anyway, now I'm starting to replace cooling parts because the wife insisted that she be able to go wheeling and have the AC without having things go wrong. Hopefully the next trip will be more successful.

HawkZero said:
Anyway, now I'm starting to replace cooling parts because the wife insisted that she be able to go wheeling and have the AC without having things go wrong.
thats an easy fix, the only part you have to replace is the wife, you always start with the part making the most noise! :cheers:

:D

GrimmJeeper said:
thats an easy fix, the only part you have to replace is the wife, you always start with the part making the most noise! :cheers:

X3

Sorry. Sounds like you should buy an FJ cruiser for that. :laugh3:

scottmcneal said:
OUCH, not nice... By the way, what is a/c in a jeep?:conceited
thats that switch that makes the battery voltage gauge drop into the red and that screaming sound come out of the engine bay. i dont touch that one anymore :D

silverslk said:
X3

Sorry. Sounds like you should buy an FJ cruiser for that. :laugh3:

Test drove one of those...she couldn't see over the dashboard. Apparently the seats in the FJ are very low. That and I'm already trying to sell my mazda to get RID of another car payment. Besides, hoses, pump, thermostat, coolant, cap etc cost 99 bucks. Replacing the wife would be tens of thousands!

:laugh3:
GrimmJeeper said:
thats that switch that makes the battery voltage gauge drop into the red and that screaming sound come out of the engine bay. i dont touch that one anymore :D

Unplugged mine, use the switch to turn fan on now..:laugh3:

GrimmJeeper said:

ROFL damm that was funny and yeah what is A/C dont know what that is either

HawkZero said:
Took wife and kid out on first "offroad" journey. Thats why I got a jeep anyway right?

Great you got to break in it's offroad "cherry"
Too bad about the overheat, my wifes picky about the AC also.
Make sure the thermal fan clutch is hooking up your mechanical fan when it's hot, a fan overide switch to run the electric fan full time on the trail, and if you're an automatic, I run two tranny coolers, one in front of each fan. The tranny seems to be where alot of the heat's coming from when the torque converter's not locked up. Add a 140amp alternator, and I run the AC all day on the trail when it's tripple digits, and the wife don't bitch!
Awesome country above Bishop there, did you see Mavricks thread from Convict Lake Overlook/Deadman Pass/Silver Canyon/Sand Canyon/Laurel Lakes?
I regularly wheel in the El Paso range south of Ridgecrest and the Panamints east of you, but this time of year I head to the High Sierras untill they close, then I'll be out your way again.

I just got thru driving over the 4 from Caleveras Big Trees towing a travel trailer. It was slow going, but soooooo beautiful.

Back