• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Battery Load Tester

Rob Mayercik

NAXJA Member #920
NAXJA Member
Replaced the battery in my DD this week as it was showing signs of failing, and once again I got to thinking that maybe I should look into adding something that can load-test that sort of thing to my tool collection (I have a DMM).

Seeing as it's not something I expect to use a lot, I wouldn't want to spend a huge amount on it. As such, I've been occasionally eyeing this simple, old-school load tester from Harbor Freight that's only about $20:

https://www.harborfreight.com/100a-612v-battery-load-tester-61747.html?force_isolation=true

Overall review rating is 4.7 out of 5, and it seems like there's very little in terms of things that can go wrong with it.

I'm thinking that at the price it may worth picking one up and taking the chance - Anyone around these parts used one of these?

Yes we had those at the Napa's I used to work at worked great easy to use can't remember the brand looked like the one in your link ours were much more than 20 bucks fwiw.

The HF unit is worth the price of admission. I have one, worked the few times I've needed it. Former neighbor had one he used all the time. He liked it.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. Will probably grab one the next time I pass by my local HF.

Forgot to mention. My former neighbor works on traffic signals and controllers. Many/most have lead acid batteries for back up. So yeah, he uses the $hit out of it.

Last edited:
All a battery load tester is, is a big resistor. No complex electronics. No reason to spend big.

Well, I did buy one the next time I happened into HF. Haven't tried it yet, doing cylinders/shoes/hardware on my rear drums is slightly higher priority.

Looking forward to trying it though...

The HF unit is worth the price of admission. I have one, worked the few times I've needed it. Former neighbor had one he used all the time. He liked it.
Looking to get one! Good to hear they are reliable.

One thing I've never seen there is a hydrometer. Handy to have if you have any wet cells in your stable. It's sad and funny when someone is having issues and you ask them, "have you checked the water levels?" "Huh?":roflmao:

Back