• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Air Filter Box

racintck

NAXJA Forum User
Alright. So I pulled my airbox out today and when you get one side (Longer side) inside the upper portion the opposite side hangs out like a English bulldogs lower jaw.

Has any one had any luck using a heat gun to reshape it? Not really looking to pay $200 for a used ebay one.

A cheap fix is drilling a couple small holes and running a zip tie or wire across to pull the sides in. I did it once using some 12-gauge copper wire after getting frustrated at needing three hands to press the sides in so the filter didn't fall in while trying to get the top on. The holes are on the dirty side of the filter so doesn't matter if they leak any air. Just need to make sure the wire doesn't hit the filter or at least fits between the pleats.

What year model?

I do an odd thing. I hold the air filter in the cover so the sealing area sits inside the channel of the cover at the front. Drop the front end of the cover/filter onto the box, making sure it's on the ledge. Then use my finger to slightly stretch the filter into the channel at the other end as I lower the cover on to the rear of the air box.

It may take a few tries to get it to seat properly, but I've done it so many times, it's natural.

And yes, I disconnect the tube and hoses so I can maneuver the cover. Once down, if a clip won't latch properly, the filter slipped.

I did attempt to use the heat gun while the lid was on and it helped but not perfect. I managed to find a 96 at a local pick-n-pull with an airbox in almost perfect condition and I snatched up the bottom portion of it and it works perfectly.

Early xjs have an air filter box with smooth sides. These tend to warp. Later air boxes have corrugation, i.e. wavy ridges on the sidewalls, which greatly stiffens the airbox from warping

The early design is very poor specially for dusty driving as a warped airbox wont seal right. I had this problem and swapped a later airbox to fix. the later airbox top will not fit an early renix intake so you retain your early top, it fits the later bottom fine.

Some early xjs have intake preheat hose which goes to theairbox with a thermostat valve. You need thus to pass smog test. The later airbox has no provision for the preheat hose. So either. 1…. Keep early box for smog test 2… graft preheat hose valve and connection from early box to late. My jeep seems to run fine with no preheat hose even though it is supposed to have it. Starts and runs fine even when cold.

Also be sure to run the correct air filter. Some are close to right size but slip out. I use Wix 46077. Perfect fit. Never slips from position, used for dusty offroad

So get a later lower airbox with stiffened corrugated sides.

Back