• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Differential appears to be leaking

Mastodon

NAXJA Forum User
I just got back from a 2 week vacation and noticed a small stain directly under my rear differential, so I took some pictures.

IMG_1114.jpg

IMG_1115.jpg

IMG_1116.jpg

IMG_1117.jpg

IMG_1118.jpg

Should I be concerned?

Edit: Sorry for the enormous size.

Mine loooks the same way right now. I just went to the chrysler dealership and got a new fill plug which was only $3.50

It looks like your rear diff has leaked a small amount of gear oil, but the presence of fresh oil at the bottom of the diff cover is somewhat troubling. You have a few options:

1. Attempt to tighten the bolts. It may not completely stop the leak, but it may slow it down and at least you will know if your bolts were loose.

2. Inspect the fill plug, as was mentioned above. Replace as necessary.

3. Take it to a mechanic and have your rear Chrysler 8.25" differential fluid changed. This will cost you 5 times the amount than it would if you do it yourself, but at least you'll know you helped a semi-skilled mechanic make his car payment this month.

4. Buy the required amount of diff fluid (4.8 pints of 75W-90 gear oil), 2 ounces of limited slip additive, and a tube of RTV sealant. Attempt to change the fluid and reinstall the cover yourself.

5. Buy the required amound of diff fluid (see above) but instead of RTV, order a Lube Locker (www.lubelocker.com) for your 8.25" rear diff and use that in place of the RTV sealant. That Lube Locker is reusable, simple to install, and approximately $15, plus shipping.

6. Do nothing except put a piece of cardboard beneath your leak and save the planet from a few drops of differential fluid. I've done that for months.

Hints: Ensure you torque your bolts in the proper order, and with the proper torque values. Don't attempt this simple procedure if you are not familiar with "righty-tighty, lefty-loosey" or your complete collection of tools includes one small claw hammer for hanging pictures and a tape measure.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Fix it. Like rocknxj said, all you need is replacement oil, mopar sealant and a torque wrench. If you don't already have one, buy a shop manual for your jeep. It's saved me tons of time...

You only need it if you have a lim-slip in the rear. If you just have an open carrier, you don't need it.

Use some RTV on cover, and a little under the plug lip to take care of plug leak

mine looked similar I just let it leak lol when it stopped leaking I pulled cover cleaned old silicone off.. Used brake parts cleaner to clean gears and such.. Noticed the lip had been peeled back a bit by scraping on rocks.. So I hammered it flat again . Made shure brake cleaner was dry siliconed and lightly threaded on bolts . Let cure fore 10 15 mins tightened alternatively (like lugs). Not crazy tight but tight enough not to slip. ( have a T. Wrench didn't use) .. Filled until spilling out fill hole.. Silicone plug it'll slide in easier and seal better..

VOILA! Easy... Probably shouldve torqued properly but have had no issues.

Er, if you do this...make sure you wear some old clothes and it wouldn't be a bad idea to wear a shower cap...I'M SERIOUS...you laugh now, but wait until you get that gear oil in your hair...

Back