• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alternator help

Balancer and pulley are new. Dropped that engine in summer 2016. Replaced the alt since it didn't work when wet. The noise turns out to be that fan pulley which is a horrible design. It's pressed... not bolted into the a.c. bracket. If I can find a shop that has a press that will work to get it out ill have them do it because I don't have the right press. Otherwise I guess I'm spending like 300 at the dealer for a new bracket with pulley bearing

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

89 Xj, 4.0
Bought an alternator from DB electrical along with new cables from Paul at jeepcables.com. Set everything up and the Jeep started right up. Drove around for the day and parked over night. Came out the next day and the Jeep was dead. Put the battery on a charger for maybe 15 minutes and had enough juice to start and stayed running. Went to autozone to test the battery they said it’s fine but the voltage regulator is bad. I get it’s common for remans to come broken every now and then, but why me? 😅
So I guess my question is, has anyone used DB electrical stuff before?

89 Xj, 4.0
Bought an alternator from DB electrical along with new cables from Paul at jeepcables.com. Set everything up and the Jeep started right up. Drove around for the day and parked over night. Came out the next day and the Jeep was dead. Put the battery on a charger for maybe 15 minutes and had enough juice to start and stayed running. Went to autozone to test the battery they said it’s fine but the voltage regulator is bad. I get it’s common for remans to come broken every now and then, but why me? 😅
So I guess my question is, has anyone used DB electrical stuff before?
Haven't used that brand but sounds like it's shorting out some place or has a bad connection

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

It could be bad, unfortunately rebuilt quality is crap these days. Luckily the Renix alternators are GM internally regulated.
If it tests good outside the Jeep check the plug to the voltage regulator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t think there’s a short anywhere. I triple checked all the new cables I installed and put a washer on the alternator so the terminal sits a little prettier. Watching my voltage gauge bounce a bit but never hit 14. DB electrical has good warranty and returns policies but I need to ship the old alternator back for them to fix it. Most likely going to take it to a shop to try to skip the shipping from Washington to Tennessee and back. Thanks guys. Once it’s working I’ll let you all know how well it performs since I couldn’t find diddly about them in the Jeep Community

I’ll see. I checked the wires again last night except the plug to the alternator and got a more active charge. Not the 14 volts I was looking for. I’ll pick up some electrical cleaner later and report back if there’s any difference.

Most likely going to take it to a shop to try to skip the shipping from Washington to Tennessee and back.
I looked up DB electrical, not a bad price before shipping. If there is another automotive supply in Puyallup, have them check it also.

If the problem actually is the voltage regulator, they are easy to replace.

Went to a recommended alternator shop and had the shop owner test it for me. Working perfectly fine. So I’ll check the regulator plug. The owner of the shop told me to check the next connection over from the widest blade. Says when the key is on the connector is live.

Went to a recommended alternator shop and had the shop owner test it for me. Working perfectly fine. So I’ll check the regulator plug. The owner of the shop told me to check the next connection over from the widest blade. Says when the key is on the connector is live.

Multi meter reads, after cleaning plugs and other connections 14 then flutters down to about 13.4 then back up again. Now to see if there’s a draw anywhere while the engines off. Is there any common places to look check before I go through all the fuses?

Looking at the troubleshooting, during the testing it says battery should not read below 13.5v or above 15v. Looks like a test for output at 1300 rpm.
But 13.4 is charging the battery. I’m concerned the plug might be bad, since it fluctuates however since it is still in the charging range it might be fine. At least I think the alternator is probably fine.
What does it do at different RPM?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it drops down before I accelerate from heater or sound system it goes back up. Idling with no extras running it stays constant unlike before I cleaned all connections, where it would move up and down, Including starter and all connections at the relay. I’ll know tonight after my shift is there’s still a draw somewhere. Found Matt’s video from bleepinjeep on how to find a draw. His fix is great.

https://youtu.be/q5zLxD74r20

Back