• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Death wobble nightmare-I need some advice

Donski

NAXJA Forum User
Hi,
I've been trying to deal with death wobble in a stock 98 XJ for about a year.
I replaced all of the front end components and had it aligned, and it would still start wobbling at about 65mph after hitting a bump. I was pulling my hair out until one day I felt the back end shake, before the front end started wobbling.
So I looked at the rear bushings and they were all garbage. Now I'm really pissed because I replaced them about 3-4 years ago with new Dorman rubber bushings.
So, I took the rear apart and installed new poly bushings with new springs and shackles from Crown. I also replaced the front upper and lower control arm bushings with poly as well. I've been driving it and it feels great. The only thing it would do is shimmy a little bit when it hit a bump, but it would always settle down. Until today, I hit a bump on the fwy at 68mph and the wobble starts again. If I keep it below 63, it seems to be fine. The steering always feels a little heavy like it wants to wander when the tires catch a grove in the pavement.

I'm wondering if changing the caster would help at all. Right now, it's at 6.4*. If I increase it to 7 or 7.5 would that help?

Thanks

Hi,

The steering stabilizer was the first thing I replaced, before the track bar, tie rod ends and hubs.

I just had the tires rotated and balanced as well. The tires are old though, almost down to the wear bars

What lift height?

I took the Jeep to get the smog inspection done. I was watching one of the back wheels on the dyno, and you could tell by looking at it that it was out of balance. I'm hoping that some new tires will help.

I took the Jeep to get the smog inspection done. I was watching one of the back wheels on the dyno, and you could tell by looking at it that it was out of balance. I'm hoping that some new tires will help.

And what was the opinion of the guy running the dyno? Did you get a second opinion from him? Chances are if he's running the thing, he's probably seen that sort of thing a time or two before. Hate to go on a tear here, but if your wheels and tires are out of balance, why not just have them re-balanced instead of installing new tires AND balancing them?

The guy running the dyno was busy trying to get my car to pass smog.

I compared it with the wheel and tire on the other side and it was visibly different.

As I mentioned in one of the initial posts, the tires are almost down to the wear bars, and need to be replaced.

Firestone wouldn't re-balance the tires because they were down to the wear bars (although I disagreed)

I had an issue with a right rear tire/ wheel wooble turned out to be a bent axle shaft .

It's interesting you mention the bent axle because the wheel was actually wobbling side to side like it's out of true instead of hopping because its out of balance.

I didnt realize I even had problem untill we were on trip with some freinds and they noticed my wheel was woobleing got back home found out the axle was bent.

Thanks for everybody's help. Vehicle just sold.

My parting words to the forum, Don't forget to look at your rear suspension if you've got death wobble

Back