• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hidden winch bumper

smokeyyank

NAXJA Forum User
Just picked up a winch for the MJ and am going to need to fab up a front bumper. Anyone have a hidden winch design they'd like to share? Winch is a Smittybilt 9.5k. As always appreciate the input.

I like it, but was looking to fab something. Just trying to see if anyone has and what they did.

Thanks, I did check out Dutch's. I do like his a lot. I'll check out pirate too.

I made one. My warn had a removable solenoid pack so I relocated it under the hood.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1104364&page=5

F93EC8F6-089D-4FF8-8252-39B2749904B4_zpssdfztwtn.jpg

Nice, I like the stubby look. Still debating if I want to go stubby or push it out to the edge.

No, but I could take some.

If you could that would be awesome if not no worries. Just trying to get a better idea of the bracket layout. Did you fab yours or get pre fabbed ones?

From my thread:
BECItdn.jpg

mr24ely.jpg

bOmR2dF.jpg

EFLRRAq.jpg

I used Dirtbound tie-in plates and originally had the mounts as part of the main bumper capturing the 3 stock holes and 1 of the steering box bolt holes, then the tube portion had its own mounting plates that captured just the 2 front bumper bolts. This way if the tube part got damaged it was only 4 total bolts to remove it and I could make a new one. I also wanted to be able to remove the main bumper without having to undo the steering box, hence the 4 bolt design. Unfortunately when my buddy bent up the plate for the main bumper (it was all cut out as 1 piece of 3/16 and then bent up) he misread the measurements and the space between the mounts was almost 3/4" too wide. As I was in a hurry to get the Jeep ready for a trip, and not willing to waste that entire piece of plate, I just cut the mounts off of the ends. Being in the hurry I was though I wound up just welding everything together and ended up with 3 layers of 3/16 plate to mount the bumper instead of having either a single side plate that would just be cleaner/more efficient or a multi-piece bumper that would be easier to repair as needed like I had originally intended. If I were to do it again I would stick with the multi-piece design but actually follow through with it. At a minimum I would make it a 2 pieces with the frame tie-in and then just 4 bolts on the bumper itself (tube portion integrated with main bumper). I hate having to unbolt the steering box just to remove/install the bumper.

Last edited:
I see what you are saying. Good idea about the 2 piece.

Cool, thanks for the photos. Is the clutch handle difficult to get to?

yes. I skipped the clutch handle as it got screwed up during a hard pull, didn't get fully engaged. So it would not stay locked in but pop out. I just ran a solid round piece into the winch so it's always locked. I use the controller or in cab to spool in or out.

There are cool little gadgets out there now that I probably would have looked at using like what Boostwerks sells for engaging the clutch with a ratchet extension.

Back