• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Question on mounting Bilstein 7100's

Explorer 1

NAXJA Forum User
It Saturday and because it's a three day weekend it will probably be Tuesday before anyone at Bilstein will be answering their phone to get anm answer. You guys have always been a good source of information in the past.

I'm installing Bilstein 7100 shocks in the front of my 90 XJ. Because the shock mount area is so narrow I can't place the upper shock mounting eye as I would normally, that being parallel to the front bumper or perpendicular to the side of the vehicle.

Both ends of the shock have a Heim joint that allows forward and back movement of the upper shock as I have mounted it.

The lower shock is mounted in the usual way, parallel to the front bumper.

Any harm in how I installed it? :dunno:

IMG_0337.jpg

Thanks for you help......
Fred
Explorer 1

you be fine unless you are completely bombing the whoops all day long, or have CRAZY flex/travel. those heims will handle the misalignment. i usually tuck the reservoir more away from the tire, as if in rear of the shock as opposed to the side,but im not sure it would hit anyways.

You should not be able to grab body and move back and forth. they make spacers you will need to trim that fit between mount and heim to take up any space.. Also move rez to the back or front of the shock body.

Like this:
attachment.php

Perhaps the upper stem /eye conversion mount can be rotated to 45* and the reservoir can be further rotated around the shock body to tuck it away niceley. Also, if you loosen the hose clamps and twist the reservoir the hose will begin to twist a bit to help keep it from rubbing on the inner fender.

It Saturday and because it's a three day weekend it will probably be Tuesday before anyone at Bilstein will be answering their phone to get anm answer. You guys have always been a good source of information in the past.

I'm installing Bilstein 7100 shocks in the front of my 90 XJ. Because the shock mount area is so narrow I can't place the upper shock mounting eye as I would normally, that being parallel to the front bumper or perpendicular to the side of the vehicle.

Both ends of the shock have a Heim joint that allows forward and back movement of the upper shock as I have mounted it.

The lower shock is mounted in the usual way, parallel to the front bumper.

Any harm in how I installed it? :dunno:

IMG_0337.jpg

Thanks for you help......
Fred
Explorer 1

or a peice of rubber hose split down the middle, with a couple zip ties... that stainless braid will file thru sheet metal if left vibrating long enough.

also, hope you waxed them 7100's, they sure is purdy!

Back