• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weekend is over...what did you get done?

I saw a great new bumper yesterday. I believe the manufacturer is "Mother Nature Fab." It's quite adaptive. If you get stranded overnight, you are able to use part of the bumper to create fire to keep you warm and to roast small birds and mammals.

45507400264_a530552e70_c.jpg
[/IMG]

I saw a great new bumper yesterday. I believe the manufacturer is "Mother Nature Fab." It's quite adaptive. If you get stranded overnight, you are able to use part of the bumper to create fire to keep you warm and to roast small birds and mammals.

45507400264_a530552e70_c.jpg
[/IMG]
Now that is a stiffy winch plate.... Lol

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Saturday Deanna and I went and did some Christmas shopping and spent some time together. Sunday was spent in the shop getting the F150 all together and we drove it in the field. Drove the Mj around some too but it still stalls when we put it in gear and try and drive it..... about to throw in the towel on it. Got another MJ delivered while we were working..... 87 red 2.5 TBI AX4 with no axles and a rusty drivers floor.

Took the jeep out this past weekend for the first time since getting married in October. It was an "eventful" day/weekend...if you'd call it that. Started out with loosing brakes about 10 minutes from leaving the house. Passenger front SS line had a hole in it. Limped it back home and replaced and then headed to meet with everyone (I should have taken it as a sign for a long day to come). 15 minutes into the trails, I popped an inner air lock tube from running 1-2 psi and bouncing it. Tire unseated from the rim. Aired it back up and kept going. 20 min later I lost the passenger front to a hole in the sidewall. Threw the spare on. 45 min after that I went a little to rev limiter happy and bounced the jeep into a tree breaking the driver tail light and denting it pretty good. After that I called it a day.

Fast forward to Sunday evening when I had to take my wife to work. 5 min down the road there is a constant metal clicking coming from the driver front. Stopped and saw that I spit a ujoint cap from the axle shaft. Limped it to my sisters and took her jeep the rest of the way to my wife's work. Got back home and started to pull the jeep apart and couldn't find my spindle nut socket; it was in the shop in Winston. Threw it all back together and limped it an hour down to the shop. Pulled the axle out to find that the spare inner I have has bent ears. Reused the chromo inner I pulled out and put a factory stub on it. Finally got it all back together and started driving home. Upon pulling on the highway, the jeep was pulling very hard driver. Stopped and found that the locking hub would not unlock. Was able to tap with a hammer and get it to unlock and proceeded home.

To say I had bad luck is an understatement. It was a very frustrating 48 hours

Took the jeep out this past weekend for the first time since getting married in October. It was an "eventful" day/weekend...if you'd call it that. Started out with loosing brakes about 10 minutes from leaving the house. Passenger front SS line had a hole in it. Limped it back home and replaced and then headed to meet with everyone (I should have taken it as a sign for a long day to come). 15 minutes into the trails, I popped an inner air lock tube from running 1-2 psi and bouncing it. Tire unseated from the rim. Aired it back up and kept going. 20 min later I lost the passenger front to a hole in the sidewall. Threw the spare on. 45 min after that I went a little to rev limiter happy and bounced the jeep into a tree breaking the driver tail light and denting it pretty good. After that I called it a day.

Fast forward to Sunday evening when I had to take my wife to work. 5 min down the road there is a constant metal clicking coming from the driver front. Stopped and saw that I spit a ujoint cap from the axle shaft. Limped it to my sisters and took her jeep the rest of the way to my wife's work. Got back home and started to pull the jeep apart and couldn't find my spindle nut socket; it was in the shop in Winston. Threw it all back together and limped it an hour down to the shop. Pulled the axle out to find that the spare inner I have has bent ears. Reused the chromo inner I pulled out and put a factory stub on it. Finally got it all back together and started driving home. Upon pulling on the highway, the jeep was pulling very hard driver. Stopped and found that the locking hub would not unlock. Was able to tap with a hammer and get it to unlock and proceeded home.

To say I had bad luck is an understatement. It was a very frustrating 48 hours

Was this after wheeling at URE for CTB christmas?

Well I had a pair of axles follow me home this past Saturday. Bought two SD D60s for 400. The build up of one for the front of my rig will start in January. It won't get swapped in until its completely rebuilt. I'm still researching parts and pieces. The biggest question I'm asking myself is whether I want to go 5.38s or keep 4.88s. I'm buying new tires next week and will be going with 37s. 5.38s would be nice if I decide to jump back up to 40s but would require I regear the rear as well.

46348009832_2c303fe46f_c.jpg

Well I had a pair of axles follow me home this past Saturday. Bought two SD D60s for 400. The build up of one for the front of my rig will start in January. It won't get swapped in until its completely rebuilt. I'm still researching parts and pieces. The biggest question I'm asking myself is whether I want to go 5.38s or keep 4.88s. I'm buying new tires next week and will be going with 37s. 5.38s would be nice if I decide to jump back up to 40s but would require I regear the rear as well.

46348009832_2c303fe46f_c.jpg

About time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha yea I know. I keep breaking shafts in the 44 so it's time for something stronger. How are your axles coming along?

Slowly. I ordered steering parts. I'm about to roll out the entire front suspension and both axles to mock up the new stuff. After that will have to be a 3 link kit from barnes or ruff stuff with 4.5" RE coils.

Work has been killing my free time so things aren't moving as fast as I originally wanted it to :rolleyes:

Slowly. I ordered steering parts. I'm about to roll out the entire front suspension and both axles to mock up the new stuff. After that will have to be a 3 link kit from barnes or ruff stuff with 4.5" RE coils.

Work has been killing my free time so things aren't moving as fast as I originally wanted it to :rolleyes:

I’m undecided on how to build this one. I’d love to build it outside of the jeep and then just roll it under but to do that I’d have to go with a kit that locates all the brackets for me. I’ve been eyeing the artec system but it’s pricey. I’m going to try to stay with the 3” coils I’m currently running but I’ll cross that bridge when I get there. I’ve got some 4.5” RE springs sitting on the shelf in the shop if I should need them.

If I could make a suggestion, go with ruff stuff brackets. They are better designed and not as bulky. Barnes brackets are huge compared to ruffstuff which makes packaging everything more difficult.

I’m undecided on how to build this one. I’d love to build it outside of the jeep and then just roll it under but to do that I’d have to go with a kit that locates all the brackets for me. I’ve been eyeing the artec system but it’s pricey. I’m going to try to stay with the 3” coils I’m currently running but I’ll cross that bridge when I get there. I’ve got some 4.5” RE springs sitting on the shelf in the shop if I should need them.

If I could make a suggestion, go with ruff stuff brackets. They are better designed and not as bulky. Barnes brackets are huge compared to ruffstuff which makes packaging everything more difficult.

Yeah ruffstuff has some good stuff. I don't even think I am going to truss my SD D60. I will probably weld the tubes to the diff, but that thing is incredibly beefy. I don't think the artec kit is worth it. I want my coils centered right on top of the axle tube.

Yeah ruffstuff has some good stuff. I don't even think I am going to truss my SD D60. I will probably weld the tubes to the diff, but that thing is incredibly beefy. I don't think the artec kit is worth it. I want my coils centered right on top of the axle tube.

Funny you should mention the coils centered on the tube...The initial image for the artec truss shows the coil buckets in the factory (in front of the tube) configuration but the image in the description shows it centered on the tube. I had never noticed the first prior to your comment. My coils are currently centered on the tube and I want to keep it that way. I may call Artec and ask about this.

Edit - Nevermind. I figured it out. The image in the description shows the JK version. I'm going to compare the two as the JK version is more appealing and cheaper.

Last edited:
Didn't get much done as I was sick all weekend. Did manage to get new front tires on the XJ. Wife daily drives it and the defrost wasn't working. Door shaft snapped but used a spring clip to hold the door in defrost for the time being.

Small victories, but I'll take 'em.

I moved my Jeep from the driveway to the garage. It's going to be out of service for a while... needs new ball joints, front axle u-joints, brake lines, tie rod, alignment.

Had my VW tire pressure gauge come on Friday night twice. Went to tire shop Saturday morning. Sidewall nail. FML.... replacement tire ordered. Came home and put new rear calipers on Ghost. Went to shop and tinkered with the Ford. Still will not idle. Sunday worked in the yard burning already cut trees and pulling up stumps with the Ghost winch.

Back