• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

One reason the TNT Longarm kit sucks:

Avanteone

NAXJA Forum User
OK, so this longarm argument goes on EVERYWHERE, all the time. From an installer standpoint, I've already said that the Clayton's kit is WAY easier to install. Today proves my point even more. Matt's (IXNAYXJ) Cherokee toasted the throw-out bearing, so a clutch job was in order. Rather than unbolting the stock crossmember or the Clayton's crossmember to gain transmission access, the front control arms had to be unbolted, lowered, front axle supported, etc. This added a little time to the normal clutch job for us doing it in the shop, on the lift. This would make a home/driveway clutch job MUCH MUCH more difficult. While I'll admit it wasn't QUITE as difficult as anticipated, my vote for Longarms on an XJ continues to be for the Clayton's Offroad kit. This is NOT a job I would want to be doing in my driveway.

PICS:
8de213b0.jpg

eb8364a9.jpg

1fe03bb6.jpg

70904449.jpg

9dba9c48.jpg

d5b7c2ed.jpg

bc059fdb.jpg

Avanteone said:
OK, so this longarm argument goes on EVERYWHERE, all the time. From an installer standpoint, I've already said that the Clayton's kit is WAY easier to install. Today proves my point even more. Matt's (IXNAYXJ) Cherokee toasted the throw-out bearing, so a clutch job was in order. Rather than unbolting the stock crossmember or the Clayton's crossmember to gain transmission access, the front control arms had to be unbolted, lowered, front axle supported, etc. This added a little time to the normal clutch job for us doing it in the shop, on the lift. This would make a home/driveway clutch job MUCH MUCH more difficult. While I'll admit it wasn't QUITE as difficult as anticipated, my vote for Longarms on an XJ continues to be for the Clayton's Offroad kit. This is NOT a job I would want to be doing in my driveway.

PICS:
8de213b0.jpg

eb8364a9.jpg

1fe03bb6.jpg

70904449.jpg

9dba9c48.jpg

d5b7c2ed.jpg

bc059fdb.jpg

I agree..... I just did a t-case swap on the garage floor. It didnt take as long as I was expecting but it was quite the PITA! I didnt unbolt the arms from the belly pan though. I just supported the arms and let the pan hang from the the suspended arms. Kinda like in the last picture, only I folded it all the way under and resupprted the pan.

Aaron

I think TNT's slogan should be... NOT FOR CRYBABIES!

I had to drop mine out about two weeks ago for some mods and, you know what? It took about 20 extra minutes. IF THAT LONG. Anyone with an inkling of mechanical ability knows the TNT kit makes it harder to do repairs. Big deal, give me the wrench next time.

It is well worth the extra time. You could drop my entire Jeep on that bellypan, and watch the Jeep body fold while the pan stays straight.

OH, BTW, what's the other reason they suck? Grow some mechanical ability.

Last edited:
Dirt said:
I think TNT's slogan should be... NOT FOR CRYBABIES!

I had to drop mine out about two weeks ago for some mods and, you know what? It took about 20 extra minutes. IF THAT LONG. Anyone with an inkling of mechanical ability knows the TNT kit makes it harder to do repairs. Big deal, give me the wrench next time.

It is well worth the extra time. You could drop my entire Jeep on that bellypan, and watch the Jeep body fold while the pan stays straight.

OH, BTW, what's the other reason they suck? Grow some mechanical ability.

For what it's worth. John (Avanteone) owns his own auto repair shop. I think he has some mechanical abilities.

Yeah......get a low clearance long arm kit with mounts that attach below the frame which hurts ground clearance and break over angle, rather than a nice well engineered high clearance long arm setup with a sturdy flat belly pan. Ease of replacing a clutch once in a blue moon is WAY more important than trail performance every time you go wheeling. :rolleyes:

Amazing lack of understanding of true priorities displayed by the poster of this thread.

pavement pounder? sure, get the Clayton's, it's a good kit.

but personally I would MUCH rather spend the extra 1/2 hour (or even 5 hours) on a very occasional clutch job in order to have the significant improvement in ground clearance.

Agreed with Brett and Goat totally---------------Kyle

offroadman83 said:
Agreed with Brett and Goat totally---------------Kyle

Yeah what they said.....quite you whining Im sure you over billed for the ADDED labor........

BrettM said:
pavement pounder? sure, get the Clayton's, it's a good kit.

but personally I would MUCH rather spend the extra 1/2 hour (or even 5 hours) on a very occasional clutch job in order to have the significant improvement in ground clearance.
x2

well said!..someone is just pissed because they had to "work" a bit harder.:bawl:
Goatman said:
Yeah......get a low clearance long arm kit with mounts that attach below the frame which hurts ground clearance and break over angle, rather than a nice well engineered high clearance long arm setup with a sturdy flat belly pan. Ease of replacing a clutch once in a blue moon is WAY more important than trail performance every time you go wheeling. :rolleyes:

Amazing lack of understanding of true priorities displayed by the poster of this thread.

This is awesome! I haven't been here long enough to say anything, but I was thinking it. I'm loving the tnt kit and if I wasn't going with custom radius arms I would definately be going that route. The clearance is amazing!

Avanteone if you thought that was bad, try pulling the tranny out of something that's TRULY flat bellied. I guess strong high clearance stuff aint for everyone.

You could just get the Full Traction kit and call it good, lol. The arms are awesome sliders and the mounting style lets you pull trannies all day!

Avanteone said:

:rattle:

we have to remove the entire interior of a helicopter i work on to change a peice that has 2 bolts. to get to the point of replacing the peice takes about 2 days of work for a 2 minute fix. lol, that's a shit load of extra work.....not 20 min of dropping a belly pan.

IntrepidXJ said:
again. if you want to mount the links under the framerail and lose clearance. to some of us, accessing the tranny easily isn't as important as ground clearance and a flat belly.

:laugh3: I know, but I still haven't found a 4 link that's high clearance like the TNT kit that I like. I guess I settle for the Full Traction kit. But honestly, the long arms are exellent sliders ;)

53guy said:
You could just get the Full Traction kit and call it good, lol. The arms are awesome sliders and the mounting style lets you pull trannies all day!

Full Traction is good stuff, well thought out design and very well made. However, the lower control arms are still mounted beneath the frame rails which robs ground clearance and break over angle. There is no easy way to get the lower arms mounted up inside the frame rails, you have to give up something (like ease of pulling the tranny) to get it done.......but it's worth it.

Matt98XJ said:
For what it's worth. John (Avanteone) owns his own auto repair shop. I think he has some mechanical abilities.

I figured he had a mechanical inkling.

He posted just to badmouth TNT. I see that as bullshit. So I ride his nutz.:scottm:

Back