• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Blown fuse and "no ASD" code

Pinoy59

NAXJA Forum User
As I was getting off of the trail my jeep died. It threw a code 1389 so I tried another ASD relay that I had with me, with no change. I checked my fuses and noticed one was blown. Can anyone tell me what this fuse goes to? I know I have a short somewhere but I want to know where to start looking.
d9d447e06f32abdcef28b6ae17c3bdb3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

A quick search brings up a diagram for 97 thru 2001 over at Cherokee forum -- since you didn't specify what year

Fuse 21 - PCM, ignition coil

Your guess is as good as mine from there...

This was created and previously posted by NAXJA member CCKen.

P1389 JEEP - No ASD Relay Voltage At Powertrain Control Module

Possible causes
• Faulty ASD Relay
• ASD Relay wire harness is open or shorted
• ASD Relay circuit poor electrical connection

This was created and previously posted by NAXJA member CCKen.

standard.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, all that is written in the amp fuse needed for each slot.

Hm. Didn't realize the later ones had less info in the lids.

Anyway, knowing what year your Jeep is would make it a lot easier for us to help you.

i had a problem with that fuse blowing as well once upon a time, jeep would die suddenly and i would find that same fuse blown, this happened several times until i found a pattern that it would blow the fuse at about 3k RPM, after much frustration many searches and trying to lug my jeep around under 3k rpm, i found a post on a chrysler website that someone had an issue like mine on a caravan maybe? and thier issue was solved with a new alternator, i disconnected the alternator pigtail and the fuse stayed good up to redline. also on that ssame day i found i could only go 60 miles with the alternator disconnected and not the 68 i needed to go,. maybe you have a similar issue. mine was a 99 i cant remember the details of why the alternator was causing the problem.

i had a problem with that fuse blowing as well once upon a time, jeep would die suddenly and i would find that same fuse blown, this happened several times until i found a pattern that it would blow the fuse at about 3k RPM, after much frustration many searches and trying to lug my jeep around under 3k rpm, i found a post on a chrysler website that someone had an issue like mine on a caravan maybe? and thier issue was solved with a new alternator, i disconnected the alternator pigtail and the fuse stayed good up to redline. also on that ssame day i found i could only go 60 miles with the alternator disconnected and not the 68 i needed to go,. maybe you have a similar issue. mine was a 99 i cant remember the details of why the alternator was causing the problem.
It's the OEM alternator. I seem to have some grounding issues, because the door locks don't always work. When they don't there is a clicking sound coming from the passenger door. This is the first fuse I have blown and it was at lower RPM.

I blew that same fuse a few months ago. It happened during an over rev situation... My 96 doesn't have a limiter... But since that time, which I also replace the crank sensor, it hasn't been an issue.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Well the battery died from trying to start it so much combined with sitting for a month. When I jumped it, it started right up like nothing was wrong. The 1389 code went away but a few new ones popped up.

P0132

P0138

P0141

P0135

I have a 96 Cherokee SE that kept blowing the 15amp Asd fuse in the PDC under the hood. It tripped the CEL light. It came up with codes for A/C Relay Circuit, EVAP purge solenoid and radiator fan relay. I checked all fuses under the hood and in the driver's compartment, traced wiring and found a few wires that the shielding was questionable on which I replaced and still, every time your turned the ignition key the fuse would blow even before starting the engine. I ended up checking the wiring that connects on the passanger side of the engine compartment that plugs into the EVAP solenoid. To the right of it are two large wiring connectors just below the heater control valve and right next to the Automatic Transmission dips tick. I traced the wires down to the Neutral Safety Switch. I peeled back the wire loom and found wires with exposed shielding and two melted ones. Swapped out the neutral safety switch and viola, CEL light shut it self off and no more blown 15amp fuse. It looks like there are a few posts on this with limited successful fixes. I hope this helps out. That neutral safety switch was about $130 on rockauto. One bolt on the passanger side of the trans and bit of prying which really was the hardest part and it was off.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Back