• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Extended Idle 97-01 Install

John, this is the only extended idle posting I found. Is there a way to get this information for a '96 and older-mine being a '94 XJ? I would like to make this modification if possible. I would also need schematics and the such. Thanks

Jeff

For 1993-1995 I6 XJs:
PCM Pin # 10, Purple, [60-pin connector] (Switch On: 1V, Off:12V)

For 1996 I6 XJs:
PCM Pin # 12, dark blue/orange, [Black "A" 32-pin connector] (Switch On: 1V, Off:12V)

For 1997-2000 I6 XJs:
PCM Pin # 12, gray, [Black "A" 32-pin connector] (Switch On: 1V, Off:12V)

It has the Black 32 pin connector, not a 60 pin connector though, so I would assume it follows the later year models....

Then John do I just need the switch from a '96 or older unit? Thanks for the update

Jeff

John, then by your schematics, is the switch taking 12V away from the PCM or adding it to it to get the higher idle, and how does it get tied into the wiring since my '94 doesn't have it?? I kinda understand your directions, is it just a two or three wire switch?? Thanks

Jeff

When Extended Idle is on it grounds pin #10. Not sure about what you mean about a three wire switch, if the switch has a indicator light is has three wires but one is just the light.

How would I wire up a standard lighted switch (3 inputs) for this?

These switches have a ground, input +12, and output +12.

To get it to light when the switch is activated, how would I wire it? If I switched around the +12 and ground I don't think that would work.

When the extended idle is not activated, what voltage is it reading? If it was +12 then it would be fine to reverse +12 and ground.....if not, it wouldn't be ok.

Any ideas and do you know what I am asking? Thanks!

It seems like there's always a new reason to dig this thread up again... :D

Spent a good part of the afternoon cleaning up some ratty wiring I'd introduced by installing various things. Something I'm curious about:

PCMC1.jpg

If you look at the spliced wire on the PCM, you'll notice that in 2000XJSport's installation he left the other end of the wire dangling from where it originally exited the harness; I've got the same thing. Does anyone know where this wire terminates? I'd like to eliminate the stray ghetto wire I've got running to the PCM now and use the factory one if at all possible.

Yeah, I know that six months ago would've been the appropriate time to consider this, but I was just so giddy with enthusiasm at the idea of being able to raise the idle with the flick of a switch that the idea never really occurred to me ;)

i left mine intact im not sure where it would go

the pre 96 had a differnet wiring

I know, using the chart with Pin # for OBD I (for my 95) and corresponding wire color, I know my computer plug doesn't have that. I'd like to add it.....any ideas on how to add it to the plug if it doesn't already have it?

Blaine B. said:
I know, using the chart with Pin # for OBD I (for my 95) and corresponding wire color, I know my computer plug doesn't have that. I'd like to add it.....any ideas on how to add it to the plug if it doesn't already have it?

Pull the PCM connector on a junkyard XJ. Take it apart, cannibalise one of the pins, then add it in to your connector along with the wiring. A complete PITA to do, but probably your only non-ghetto option.

Something just occurred to me, though - you are checking pin 10 and not pin 12, right? See this post on page three of this thread to verify. I just want to be sure we're definitely talking about the same thing.

Blaine B. said:
Yep, 10, and no straight purple wire either.

Check page three. I seem to remember seeing a post re: someone in the same position.

well my problem continues (have only messed with it a couple times) where the PCM 12 on the 32 PIN (96 XJ pcm) won't raise the idle when grounded. i tried messing with it again when i saw this thread active again and tried to figure out what was up by using a light - Pin 12 to the positive and ground to the negative wire of the light. I could of swore that the light wasnt lighting up at all but i realized when i held my hand over it - it had the slightest dim glow. this is a light from behind the dash! its really small... the 12+V that comes from the PCM must not have a good connection or something - which is why my idle is staying the same i guess?

anybody know what might be up/ how to fix this? i tried tightening up all the connections, etc to get a better signal, i have no clue why it wont just bump the idle.

Back