• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

JK 44s and other Fun Stuff

I did a lot of measuring and was ready to set the bumps. Started with having my buddie true up the interface for a perfect fit.

g3RMWURl.jpg

Ngsdbc4l.jpg

VYUdUvIl.jpg

cBoS44ql.jpg

gsuyEbRl.jpg

aGy8JgKl.jpg

Also beefed up the front leaf mount.

5YolaAKl.jpg

nydAyaml.jpg

aLAaZUbl.jpg

2bjWNwUl.jpg

And cleaned up the Devaers, slip plate paint on the leafs, rattle can black exterior and SS hardware. Turned out good.

9F34abvl.jpg

Ml4Kz9cl.jpg

50Nrhukl.jpg

Due for some updates....

Moved to California, updates made:

Deaver 5.5 front coils:

66YOUdQl.jpg

This of course made the rear need more lift, really should have done SRBs with lift but oh well..

wzBxi8Fl.jpg

Needed limit straps to not overtravel the shocks

4cFxgmHl.jpg

oh and fresh 37s...

GogdbGvl.jpg

do89l1Tl.jpg

Took it out first time in CA,

FFaVhYWl.jpg

dioSQuGl.jpg

Rxsi3lIl.jpg

After wheeling decided next upgrades needed were:

Better trans cooling
Hydro assit
More lift from leaf packs
Deeper gears

So new transmission cooler, also moved it over to the far left, my winch blocks a lot of airflow.

4WhkSg7l.jpg

I have had this redneck ram kit for a while, but the few times I mocked it up it just didn't seem to fit anywhere. The offset clamp from PSC was a huge help, cycled the suspension many times and finally found a place it cleared everything.

2o9964ol.jpg

O8WlLIsl.jpg

688p05Cl.jpg

Lines were another project, I have really good up travel, so routing them in a way to have clearance at full bump took some effort. I found a local shop to make custom lines, only took 3 trips to them to get it all figured out.

nEfB2KCl.jpg

kPLhzuYl.jpg

njYJvckl.jpg

Gears were easy.. I just dropped it off at Rebel Off-road, swapped the 4:88s for 5:38s. It drives amazing now, cant wait to wheel it.

6jBifqhl.jpg

Very sweet build.
Are those teckton tools I see.

Im debating taking the plunge to 5.38 gears to.

Im assumming you havent broke an rcv shaft yet

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Very sweet build.
Are those teckton tools I see.

Im debating taking the plunge to 5.38 gears to.

Im assumming you havent broke an rcv shaft yet

Craftsman set, I had just got that kit to carry in the jeep, was making sure it have everything to pull a shaft.

Im still in break in on the gears, no wheeling on them yet.

After running the TNT Y link kit for 10 years decided it was time to try something new....

dgivClEl.jpg

aEaAv9vl.jpg

LiHvJNql.jpg

4DMS5pVl.jpg

yFzBW8ql.jpg

zDk0Dn5l.jpg

FvQbB4ql.jpg

Only thing that isn't great is the amount of length I needed on the arms. My wheel base is not stretched but I had to adjust the arms out quite a bit more then "base" settings SFR referenced. Shot them an email to get their opinion, hope these are not adjusted to far out! Odd because the TNT kit was had only a few threads exposed on the lowers.

Delayed updates...

Emailed SFR on the length of the links, not much help, just said axle brackets must be closer on axle then stock... maybe true.. but almost 2 inches? I've also noticed few pics of people posting this kit on Facebook, all the JJs are threaded out pretty far. I think they are definitely on the shorter side. Ended up ordering new lowers +2" from WOD, also upped the diameter to 2". I then was able to reuse the lowers as the uppers, just barley, had to push the front axle forward a bit to get caster adjusted, but it all worked out.

New WOD lowers vs SFR lowers

me3aWNOl.jpg

SFR original lowers vs SFR original uppers

Yw3GdLpl.jpg

HCIgbT9l.jpg

Since I moved the axle, pulled the springs to check everything for clearance.

1ceuXSDl.jpg

bqog7vAl.jpg

NIf1N6yl.jpg

GqipU78l.jpg

Driving around had the exhaust rattling on the transfer case skid, found they welded up the cross brace backwards, they had the relief cut for exhaust on the opposite side, easy fix with the grinder.

WxRD0WLl.jpg

So I mentioned I had a shop regear to 5:38s a while back, well the front gears whined from day 1. I went back and forth with them, multiple trips and "inspections", ultimately they claimed no possible way it was the gears or their work. I ended up having to prove to them it was gears by pulling the axle shafts proving the sound was gone with the gears not turning, they finally agreed, threw a new set in... and now perfect. Of course this was 1 week before KOH so I put had to drive it a bunch in a short amount of time to get some break in.

uePvfF3l.jpg

Annoying when you need to go out of your way to 'prove' the issue was related to the product or services they performed (the gear noise).

Sweet setup by the way.

Took pretty much no photos, but KOH was awesome. Drove 2.5 hours there, wheeled it then drove home. Super impressed with the SFR kit, was so much fun bombing through the woops. 5.38s were a great choice, still drives great on the highway and feels really good off-road, 4 high is usable again. I think after owning this jeep for 16 years from 100% stock, its never been better.

LF4DDSql.jpg

Top of Chocolate Thunder

ZdWvUBml.jpg

RpqHa2el.jpg

Nice Method track bar bracket.

Glad you got it figured out. How do you öike it on the trails

I'm in the middle of a pretty similar build. SFR 4 link and some recon axles.

The only thing I don't really have worked out is brakes. JK axles, what cables did you use? I saw you mentioned reusing the cables from your ZJ disc setup...any more details? Also, did you just use XJ extended brake lines?

I'm in the middle of a pretty similar build. SFR 4 link and some recon axles.

The only thing I don't really have worked out is brakes. JK axles, what cables did you use? I saw you mentioned reusing the cables from your ZJ disc setup...any more details? Also, did you just use XJ extended brake lines?

Brake lines are XJ "4-6 inch" extended, fronts bolted on. Rear I redid the JK axle lines completely to connect like XJ axle does. JKs are setup to go from calipers to frame with flex lines.

For ebrake, I can't remember what cables they were, but I was able to just use a bolt to connect them to the JK ebrake levers.

Care to share some thoughts on the JK-R 44's now that you've run them for a couple years? I've been weighing axle swap choices for years and recently have been thinking these might be the right choice for me. I had never really considered them because of the price they command, but all said and done they're similar money to other options.

Mopar sells JK front housings with the heavy duty J8 tubes and brackets for less than $1000 (MOPAR P5160036). Would be an expensive build, but IMO a much more appropriate swap for an XJ than other options. You really found a great purchase with the pair that you were able to pick up.

Care to share some thoughts on the JK-R 44's now that you've run them for a couple years? I've been weighing axle swap choices for years and recently have been thinking these might be the right choice for me. I had never really considered them because of the price they command, but all said and done they're similar money to other options.

Mopar sells JK front housings with the heavy duty J8 tubes and brackets for less than $1000 (MOPAR P5160036). Would be an expensive build, but IMO a much more appropriate swap for an XJ than other options. You really found a great purchase with the pair that you were able to pick up.

Well its embarrassing how little I have wheeled it... 2 kids, new job, move across the country has taken my time but it's been a great setup. IMO keep an eye out for someone going to tons selling a "built" setup, I also would look for an upgraded front, the factory 44s have to have a ton of gussets and trussing to hold up.

Well its embarrassing how little I have wheeled it... 2 kids, new job, move across the country has taken my time but it's been a great setup. IMO keep an eye out for someone going to tons selling a "built" setup, I also would look for an upgraded front, the factory 44s have to have a ton of gussets and trussing to hold up.

Hey, no judgement here. My jeep has definitely spent more time on jack stands than not over the last couple years.

I've got a lead on a 2015 Rubicon front that I'm really trying to score. Problem is its 5 hours away. We've agreed on a price and I have someone who is supposed to be picking it up this Saturday. Fingers crossed I get it and its advertised accurately. I'm a bit uneasy about buying an axle sight-unseen, but everything sounds right.

Its got 5.13's, Artec truss and gussets, aftermarket cover, Dynatrac ball joints, and RCV's. Seller has paperwork showing it built by a shop in 2018. Has like 10k miles on the build. Looks brand new. Agreed on $1900 with no brakes or unit bearings. Definitely a gamble, but could pay off. My plan would be cut the coil brackets and knuckle gussets off and rotate the C's. Probably also get the Rancho knuckles and move the trackbar bracket up to match.

Back