• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Extended Idle 97-01 Install

Re: Here it is, the answers you've been looking for!

Ahh yes! this was very helpful. thanks

Glad you were able to figure it out and that you found my post helpful! Still happily extended idling along over 2 1/2 years later... :roll:

For anyone coming across this information looking for the complete version of the above quote with the pictures and diagrams included, it is back on page 10 of this thread. One correction that needs to be made however is that Jeromy has moved on from the dealership that he was running mopardiscountparts.com through and as such the website is now defunct. You'll have to source the Mopar parts elsewhere. I've also heard rumor that the limited supply of discontinued 4 switch bezels has now been depleted, though I can't personally confirm that fact.

Re: Here it is, the answers you've been looking for!

I've also heard rumor that the limited supply of discontinued 4 switch bezels has now been depleted, though I can't personally confirm that fact.

I got my switch bezel from a ebay.co.uk junk yard/parts slanger. Paid <$35 for the bezel with all four switches that came stock in the XJ there... rear def, rear wipe, front fog, rear fog.

Just search for "Jeep Cherokee XJ breaking" or something like that (breaking = parting out). Once you find one, send a message to the seller.

2011-03-08173036.jpg

Last edited:
Nice call on an alternate source for the 4 switch bezel. Good to know that they refer to it as "breaking" over there as searching for "parting out" probably would not get you too far...

Also, interesting seeing it in the 3rd slot, I've gotten use to seeing it in the 4th slot.

Were the front fogs in the fourth slot on the euro model? Would make sense as the Extended Idle switch was keyed the same as the Fog Light switch on my 3 slot bezel.

I understand this is a very old ass thread, but my question is on my 96 automatic when I ground the dark blue with orange stripe wire at Penn a 12 it does absolutely nothing and I've checked with my laptop and the park and neutral settings are showing those respectively. my vehicle does absolutely nothing when that is grounded and I do have positive on it when check with a voltmeter and that goes away. is there needing a program inside this PCM or is it just a flop thing some work or some don't. If anybody has had a solution or ran into any issues like this on the 96 specifically please I'd like to know how you figured out how to get the damn thing to work. Thanks

I believe the issue for you would be not having a +97 compliant PCM.

I might pull the switch and go for the HP tuners. to be able to hack into the PCM and check all those settings it may be that it's just switched off if that is possible?

96 requires the option to be in the ECM. If your cherokee didn't come with the option then it's not there. Also, the dealer told me they couldn't put it in because when they flash the ECM they do it based on your vin, and my vin didn't have the option.

I wouldn't have thought a 97 ECM would work in a 96, you're saying it does?

The solution for me was to purchase a reman ECM from Flagship One with the option. It was only ~$150 and it works fine.

97 and 98 had a distributor the 99 and up of course did not. The only thing I see that is changed is the coloring of the wiring but everything else should be fine I have to hook up my laptop still to verify that the spare ECM is a 97

It's an option that when switched on raises the idle rpm to ~1000 while in park or neutral. It was mostly found on police/government packages but is helpful for running heavy electrical loads (winch), or cooling a hot engine. Many lament that 1000 rpm isn't really that useful and I agree, 1250 or so would be better.

It's an option that when switched on raises the idle rpm to ~1000 while in park or neutral. It was mostly found on police/government packages but is helpful for running heavy electrical loads (winch), or cooling a hot engine. Many lament that 1000 rpm isn't really that useful and I agree, 1250 or so would be better.

Thank you for the detailed info! :sunshine:

On my old VW Van there was an idle speed valve that opened up when high idle was needed, it is simply a throttle valve bypass. it was opened at cold engine temp, and if the a.c. was running automatically by the brain, i.e. the ecu. No manual over ride.

Now that would be nice for my jeep. I run a winch and air compressor and idle speed is probably not putting out the charging current to match the high draw, specially if headlamps need be on.

Does anyone have a table or chart of the engine speed verses alternator output for a stock XJ system?

Or what is the alternator output increase gained by the factory extended idle option?
At what rpm is max alternator output?

I was thinking on my last winch use how I could rig a cam or lever to pull tight the throttle cable for such situations How does the factory system operate? Is it via the ecu opening the air valve, or some mechanical linkage thingy?

How about an idle speed adjustment knob on the winch controller! Or have the idle speed autoset to match the amps draw?

Anyway, how do you all rig an adjustable idle speed for instances of high electric load such as winching? It would be nice not to have to have a helper sit in the jeep to operate the foot pedal while winching.

What idle speed gives what amps output, and when is maximum output reached?

thanks again!

p.s.... A high idle at Park verses Neutral, is there a difference in tranny wear or heat generation, or safety issues with either method?

96 requires the option to be in the ECM. If your cherokee didn't come with the option then it's not there. Also, the dealer told me they couldn't put it in because when they flash the ECM they do it based on your vin, and my vin didn't have the option.

I wouldn't have thought a 97 ECM would work in a 96, you're saying it does?

The solution for me was to purchase a reman ECM from Flagship One with the option. It was only ~$150 and it works fine.

Any chance you can tell me more about this? Are you saying you purchased a '96 ECU that was reprogrammed to include the option? I'm hoping to do this to my '91

Yes, I looked up the OEM part number for the police package and ordered that from Flagship One. Honestly though, I don't know what to say about a 91, being OBD I. 96 was the first year of OBD II and I know how that it requires addition of a switch, wiring and an ECM that has the option if you don't have one already. 97 and up requires a switch and wiring, and my understanding (not personal experience though) is that all the ECMs have the option already. But pre 96 I really don't know how to do it or if the option even existed then. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

Back