• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

231 true nuetral swap

67TEMP

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 87 that locks the two drive shafts together when in nuetral. I plan to do an sye on it soon but would like to change it to a true nuetral like the later years while I have it apart. I also have a broken 231 from my 98 to use as donor. What parts would need need to be swaped?

I don't think there ever was a "true neutral" in the NP231. My dad has an 04 Wrangler, and the neutral is the same way. The main point in the T-case neutral is for flat towing, you put the t-case in neutral, and the trans in park.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

My 98's orginal t-case, the current one in it from a 96, and my 99 xj all allow the rear tires to spin when in nuetral and both rear tires off the ground. My 87 does not do that. Both front and rear shafts are locked when in nuetral. I plan to eventually flat tow it and dont want to keep pulling the shafts.

Im not sure what year the switch to a true "N" was but it was sometime before 96, as my 96 also has it. I dont know what parts would need to be changed. DDeadserious, I think if you double check that 04 Wrangler you will find out that it does in fact have a true "N".

just the shift mode needs to be changed...

another option would be to buy the teralow 2-low kit... this has true-neutral...

Back