• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Burnt marshmellows, hot spot at tunnel

RedBluff

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all

I have an 88 Laredo.
I replaced both totally shot motor mounts and now I have the burnt marshmellow smell in the cab and a very hot spot on top of the tunnel right behind the center console. I've checked the rest of the floor pan and it's the only hot spot and the smell does seem to be coming from there.

I've done some searching and most everybody has hot spots over the muffler and or the cat.,well those to sit way to the passenger side of the tunnel. Any idea what could cause a hot spot at the location I've described? Could it be the trans mount or a soon to fry u-joint?

Thanks

Well, I have absolutley nothing to add to this post, EXCEPT that you made me want roasted marshmellows.

Actually, I would go out with a flashlight and look around under your jeep. I dunno what would cause it, but thats the only thing i can think of doing to figure it out.

How hot is this "hot spot" ?

My brother pulled his carpet on his 92, you can melt shoes and plastic bags on his trans tunnel. No exhaust leaks or anything. ona those xj things i guess.

there isnt anything under there that should be that hot. when its cold stick your hand between the trans and the body and see what is in there, maybe something got lodged in there somehow?? weird. the burning marshmallow smell is the carpet under the console melting. i smelled it last time someone welded under my rig :D thats bad.

85xj4dr said:
Well, I have absolutley nothing to add to this post, EXCEPT that you made me want roasted marshmellows.

Actually, I would go out with a flashlight and look around under your jeep. I dunno what would cause it, but thats the only thing i can think of doing to figure it out.

How hot is this "hot spot" ?

Hot enough to not be able to leave your hand on it.

I am replacing my mounts this weekend, that will something I'll be watching for. I just had the exhaust manifold replaced, so we will see if I run into any problems. I'll let you know, Good Luck

The bare floor at the transmission tunnel on my 98 normally measures between 165-170 degrees(in the summer). With my aftermarket cat and muffler, which are both smaller than OEM, the trans tunnel is warmer than the floor over the exhaust.

gigage said:
I am replacing my mounts this weekend, that will something I'll be watching for. I just had the exhaust manifold replaced, so we will see if I run into any problems. I'll let you know, Good Luck

I'm amazed that mine ran for so long with both mounts completely sheared off.
I bet the new mounts raised the whole drivetrain about 1 to 1.5 inches. This might explain the increase in heat to the sheetmetal. I'm also thinking that after 20 years the insulating properties of the carpet mat might not be up to snuff.
Might be time for for some Dynamat.

Link to a motor mount how too.
I'd add a crowbar to the list of tools needed.
I did it all myself and the bar came in handy when I had to re-insert the bolts.
The bar gives you the necessary movement to line everything up.
Be careful and don't crank on it to hard, the last thing you want is busted engine mounts.
http://www.4x4trailhunters.com/article.php?id=28

I used to live in Silsbee, East Texas and near Marathon, West Texas. I miss Texas.

Last edited:
LOL

The stinking muffler has a huge whole right on top, in the front and on the drivers side.
All the escaping gases are going straight up and into the tunnel.
I'm going out and buying a Flowmaster 40 tonight along with a new rear section of pipe.
I think I can buy this all cheaper than Rusty's thru Autozone or Kragen's.

Stock muffler, the muffler back pipe with the hanger and 2 - 2.25 pipe clamps = $80.00 at Kragens. The install was pretty easy, rent the expander and flare out the ends of the muffler and get a recip saw to cut the pipe and hangers. Cut the hanger as close to the bend as possible. It will make getting it out of the insulator alot easier.

If I can do it, you can to and you'll save some duckies in the process.

Back