• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Harmonic Balancer/Pulley Questions

SEXJ96

NAXJA Forum User
Hello,

I am currently in the process of replacing my water pump, idler pulley and belt. I have a few questions.

1) In the links are pictures of my harmonic balancer/crank pulley. What do you guys think? Is it time for a replacement?

https://ibb.co/dUkCRU
https://ibb.co/h9MK6U
https://ibb.co/mqMafp

2) I rotated all my pulleys and they seem to rotate fine without any grinding and minimal resistance. The AC pulley produces a sound almost like ball bearings moving around, is this normal considering the AC is turned off and the clutches are not engaged? The video is in the link below.

https://ufile.io/yp0rx

3) The power steering pump rotates fairly easily by hand however you can feel a slight movement but cannot see it. You can feel like a shaft connected to the pulley is moving ever so slightly when moved towards/away the engine. What do you all think? Since you cannot see the movement and barely can feel it its impossible to show you guys.

4) Any other checks I can perform? I want to really check everything out so I dont have to do this again anytime soon so please let me know. Oh and its a 96 XJ with right about 140K on the clock.

Thank you,
Laith

It doesn't "look" horrible but now would be a good time to replace it!

RCP any tips for replacing it? Also what is the seal behind it called? Front Crank seal? any tips for installing the new HB and seal?

Thanks,
Laith

Balancer doesn't look too bad. I'd run it. Slight endplay in the power steering pump is normal. Whatever you have for the ac compressor doesn't work for me but if the bearing is loud, rough or generally sounds like crap the bearing is probably on it's way out.

If you feel like pulling the balancer, you will need a balancer puller. Yes front crank seal is acceptable name. They make balancer installers but a hammer and block of wood works until you can get a few threads on the bolt to suck it in. I usually seat the balancer and then add some loctite to the threads and silicone to the washer to seal it.

DO NOT try to pull the balancer on with the crank bolt, more than one set of crankshaft threads has been stripped that way! Either rent the tool or get some all-thread and a nut.

DO NOT try to pull the balancer on with the crank bolt, more than one set of crankshaft threads has been stripped that way! Either rent the tool or get some all-thread and a nut.

Yea the tool is the right way, but I've installed probably hundreds of crank pulleys with just the bolt. It works fine as long as you get the balancer seated straight and in the keyway and get the bolt started a few threads.

Yea the tool is the right way, but I've installed probably hundreds of crank pulleys with just the bolt. It works fine as long as you get the balancer seated straight and in the keyway and get the bolt started a few threads.

If you just push the balancer on by hand, the stock bolt will only get about 2-threads engaged and will rip out the first few threads in the end of the crank. I suppose if you're using a block and mallet to get it started enough to engage more threads you might be fine. I prefer not to swing a hammer next to the radiator, so I just use a longer bolt, nut, and washer to push the HB on. A swipe of oil on the crank end instead of going on dry helps as well.

Also, in my experience, the HB pullers you rent from the auto places are pretty long and hit the radiator. Substituting a shorter bolt avoidss having to pull the radiator.

Thank you all for your responses!

Even though the balancer looked fine to me, I still replaced it. It was only $50 and I already had everything off so I just pulled the trigger on it. I rented the tools from autozone and looked specifically for the lower profile ones to clear the radiator and everything in front of it. I managed to get new balancer, water pump, idler pulley, and belt on there and its running great now. I used a kricket 2 to tension the belt to anywhere between 180-200 ft.lb and its the quietest ive ever heard the car run now. No squeals what so ever, even with the AC on. Running much cooler on the highway too!

I did not end up replacing the seal even though I bought the new seal but the old one looked in really good shape and I was afraid Id mess up the new on installing it as I didnt have the right tools for it. Hopefully it will be a long time before it leaks and I have to pull the balancer off again.

Now time to get started on my starter/oil filter adapter. So last week I get in the jeep and turn the key and BAM nothing happens. I get under there, smack the starter and solenoid and it starts right up. Ive had to do that a few times since then and I want to get it fixed. Its my fault for not fixing the oil filter adapter leak that I know ive had for a while now.

What are your suggestions? I'm thinking pulling the starter off. Cleaning it really well but what should I use? Just some degreaser? Making sure I clean the connections really well and maybe use some contact spray on both ends of the connections, and while its out, pull my oil filter adapter and replace the o rings and clean everything up.

I want to try and salvage my starter if thats possible. I dont think that its a connection issue, although the starter is soaked but it starts when I smack it which leads me to believe that its seized inside. Any suggestions as to what I can do to keep me from spending around $100 for a new one. Maybe when I fix all my engine leaks then Ill get a new one but I dont want other leaks to damage a new starter. What do you guys think?

Sorry for the long post.

Thank you,
Laith

I doubt the motor itself is seized, but having been oil soaked it's more likely the solenoid is gummed up and isn't making good solid contact. If it's not working, try jumping across the solenoid contacts and see if it spins. I had a YJ that I needed to pull the starter and clean the mud out of the solenoid a couple of times.

Back