• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Np242 shifters

Wiser

NAXJA Forum User
Is there a difference in transfer case shifters between years 84-96 and 97-01? I have a 98xj with a 242 installed in it but the shift gate in it now is for a 231. I’d like to change it out so I can shift it into 4low. I found a 242 shift gate out of a 1990 model on eBay. Was wondering if this shift gate would work in a late model xj? Thanks.

I can't speak for my 2k's, but on my 95 I didn't change anything but the bezel going from a 242 to a 241OR.

I can't speak for my 2k's, but on my 95 I didn't change anything but the bezel going from a 242 to a 241OR.

Interesting. So you should have extra throw in your shifter since you went from full time to a partime only transfer case? Basically my XJ doesn’t have the extra travel on the transfer case shifter to shift the 242 into low range.

PM me your email address and I'll send you a side by side photo.

Can you PM me as well? I've got a 1993 NP-242j sitting on the bench to replace an 1989 NP-231j. Just have to decide if I want to rebuild tit first, and whether it needs a chain (what's the spec for chain stretch?)

Interesting. So you should have extra throw in your shifter since you went from full time to a partime only transfer case? Basically my XJ doesn’t have the extra travel on the transfer case shifter to shift the 242 into low range.

Have you checked all your linkage bushings? Have you tried adjusting it? How is your transmission mount?

0fUGYn5.jpg

Back