• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power Steering Pump Reservoir Fix?

spudly

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Is there a way to fix the plastic return fitting on the back of the power steer pump reservoir?

I ham-fisted the fitting on mine and it snapped. I know I should have slit the line, got caught up in the heat of the moment since I had the feed line off and it was spilling fluid.

Basically the fitting is snapped at the reservoir side of the 90 degree fitting (the bend went with the return line). Is there an easy and reliable way to fix this or should I hit pick and pull tomorrow to locate another unit?

I'm not sure if the Renix ones will fit on the newer motors. I'm still trying to get up to speed on most things 4.0 :D

Probably wouldn't hurt to try it though. Unless it's a clear case of it not fitting/working.

If you can pull your pump and bring it down, I'll see if I can find mine and we can compare the two. You'll probably need a new O-ring for the pump body (to seal it to the reservoir housing,) but the pumps are the same on my 1987XJ and on a Viper, so it's not too outlandish (I found out when I gave a spare PS cap to a guy with a Viper once.)

Cool, mine's out. I pulled it when I swapped the exhaust manifold. It's just been leaking onto my garge floor, so the wife will be happy to see it leave.

Let me know when and where you'd like to meet and what you want for it.

So there appears to be some difference between the Renix and HO steering pumps.

The main thing I found while at pick and pull is that the Renix ones have the return line on the side of the reservoir and the HO ones have it on the back. They appear to be pretty much the same other than that. They both have the clips that hold the reservoir to the pump and appear to have the same brackets and mounting locations.

I didn't tear one of the Renix ones down to tell for sure. I found an HO one to tear down and get the reservoir from. Couldn't complain for $5.

spudly said:
So there appears to be some difference between the Renix and HO steering pumps.

The main thing I found while at pick and pull is that the Renix ones have the return line on the side of the reservoir and the HO ones have it on the back. They appear to be pretty much the same other than that. They both have the clips that hold the reservoir to the pump and appear to have the same brackets and mounting locations.

I didn't tear one of the Renix ones down to tell for sure. I found an HO one to tear down and get the reservoir from. Couldn't complain for $5.
Just for further information. 1987-1995 pumps are interchangeable. 1987-1990 uses one style bracket and 1991-1995 uses another. After that you have to switch out the entire intake manifold and bracket to use the later ones.

Back