• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weekend is over...what did you get done?

Atta boy Eric. Where did you buy?

I flushed two heater cores, one in a 1998 XJ and another in the 1998 ZJ. I then swapped out another radiator that was leaking at the tanks. I'm becoming a pro at this. I'm hoping that the 3rd times a charm.

After doing all that the dumb thing doesn't make any heat inside the Jeep. It blows outside temp to slightly warmer but never gets HOT. I burped the air from the heater core lines. The ZJ runs just under 210* with the 4.0L. Any ideas why it isn't warming up good?

Last edited:
I flushed two heater cores, one in a 1998 XJ and another in the 1998 ZJ. I then swapped out another radiator that was leaking at the tanks. I'm becoming a pro at this. I'm hoping that the 3rd times a charm.

After doing all that the dumb thing doesn't make any heat inside the Jeep. It blows outside temp to slightly warmer but never gets HOT. I burped the air from the heater core lines. The ZJ runs just under 210* with the 4.0L. Any ideas why it isn't warming up good?

I do not know anything about ZJ's but,...`does it have one of those vacuum control valves that need to open to allow the hot water to pass?

I do not know anything about ZJ's but,...`does it have one of those vacuum control valves that need to open to allow the hot water to pass?

I didn't see one. The lines come straight off the water pump and thermostat housing and go straight to the heater core lines. I was asked the same thing from another Jeep guy.

I need to get home and look at my Chrysler repair manual and just see what could be causing this. I pushed water both directions through the core before swapping out the radiator so I know it isn't plugged. Flow was good and consistent.

You need to look into the blend door. Sounds like it's not closing the outside air out. I'm having this problem with my 99xj.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Sounds like a blend door issue maybe?

Atta boy Eric. Where did you buy?
Thanks Dirk. New house is in Bethpage, TN, a little north of Gallatin. Definitely rural, but it's pretty out here.
Tomorrow I'll bring my xj home, hopefully with a brand new set of cheap mud tires on it.
How are we posting photos these days, now that photobucket decided to suck for image hosting?

Sounds like a blend door issue maybe?

Thanks guys. I think you are on the right track. I've done some searching and found a lot of information that points at either a vacuum line issue or more a more likely issue with the blend door motor/cracked plastic gears. I've found what I need to look over so I may be able to get this fixed soon.

Thanks for the help fellas!

YAY! I got my XJ home yesterday! drove it about 70 miles yesterday, and got some new 31's and some steelies put on it.
The jeep needs a lot of work still, but it ultimately drives pretty good. I did get death wobble a time or two driving on the interstate with old, dryrotten tires, but not after I got the new shoes on. I did find a bad front hub, and I will need an adjustable track bar, but this jeep will be simple to make a weekend warrior out of without spending too much money on it.
I think I do want to find an 8.25 and a d30 with 3.55 gears to swap in, to get rid of the CAD and spindly rearend, but I have other fish to fry first.

YAY! I got my XJ home yesterday! drove it about 70 miles yesterday, and got some new 31's and some steelies put on it.
The jeep needs a lot of work still, but it ultimately drives pretty good. I did get death wobble a time or two driving on the interstate with old, dryrotten tires, but not after I got the new shoes on. I did find a bad front hub, and I will need an adjustable track bar, but this jeep will be simple to make a weekend warrior out of without spending too much money on it.
I think I do want to find an 8.25 and a d30 with 3.55 gears to swap in, to get rid of the CAD and spindly rearend, but I have other fish to fry first.

Nice. I'll keep a lookout on Facebook for axles. I see guys selling them all the time so if I see it, I'll send you the link.

Well... looky what I found:

Louisville KY. It looks like he wants $360 for a D30 and 8.25 out of a 99.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/486826485496433/

Thanks buddy. I need to sort other issues before I go down that path, but I'll get there. I don't plan to go bigger than these 31's, so the stock junk will suffice for now.
My biggest journey on this jeep will be replacing all the corroded and disintegrating fuse terminals in my fuse box. That is going to be a real job, I'm afraid. Once that is done, I'll be able to DD this thing and replace worn parts as I find them.

Thanks guys. I think you are on the right track. I've done some searching and found a lot of information that points at either a vacuum line issue or more a more likely issue with the blend door motor/cracked plastic gears. I've found what I need to look over so I may be able to get this fixed soon.

Thanks for the help fellas!
Just as a side note Ed. I believe 99 was the first year of the servo motor controlling the blend door with the cracking gears. If you're before that if put money on a vacuum leak.

So I have to ask/tell on my own ignorance...
I stretched the front about 1.5 inches (guestimating) in doing so everything was great except the metalcloak coils hitting the iro track bar bracket on compression. Axle was centered with panhards, but then I shifted it about 3/8ths driver to help clear everything. What are your thoughts guys? Leave the small stretch and keep the offset axle, or no stretch and perfect panhard position.
No bump steer/death wobble, or anything.

So I have to ask/tell on my own ignorance...
I stretched the front about 1.5 inches (guestimating) in doing so everything was great except the metalcloak coils hitting the iro track bar bracket on compression. Axle was centered with panhards, but then I shifted it about 3/8ths driver to help clear everything. What are your thoughts guys? Leave the small stretch and keep the offset axle, or no stretch and perfect panhard position.
No bump steer/death wobble, or anything.

The Track-Bar offset will cause premature wear of the trackbar itself, at the joints, as well as premature tire wear. I'd rather sacrifice the stretch.

Here is the pic. I love the wagon wheels.
0d4f97454b09297238f9ca047b6b8eed.jpg

Here is the pic. I love the wagon wheels.
0d4f97454b09297238f9ca047b6b8eed.jpg

Thanks Ed!
Just trying to show off where I'm at with the project.
I'll do some more work to eliminate the Death Wobble, then take it into town and give it a good bath, and replace the windshield.
Touch up paint for the primered spots, and some electrical repairs, and I should be able to drive it anywhere I wanna go.
Then I will start working on off-road improvements.

Back