• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1993 2 door build opinions?

Fromagnon

NAXJA Forum User
Okay here goes. I have searched for months on these forums and this is what I want to do. Does this sound good? Any reccommendations would be greatly appreciated.

I have a 1993 2 door 50k miles:), Auto, 8.25 rear that I want to put the Rubicon Express 5.5 long arm kit, (seems pretty complete to me),Mono tube shocks 5.5 -7.5/SYE/TW Driveshaft/bumpstops/limiting straps.

Hardrock bolt in cage mounted to reinforced mounts.

Currie steering kit + steering box brace.

JCR front + rear bumpers and sliders. (All ready have bumpers).

4.56 gears f/r, Detroit rear + 29 spline alloy axles, open front 30 spline alloy axles .

Super swamper 33x 10.50 on 4.5 backspaced rims.

Wish there was a better option, but Bushwacker fender flares, ( I try not to hit rocks with them, yea right, maybe I'll get two sets?.

I will DD it sometimes ,but most of the time I ride my bike or drive my 90 Cherokee or 87 Blazer, depending on what I sell to complete this build.

I want this to be a reliable setup with minimum breakage for some rocks and trails in Arizona.

Will the axles hold up with the 33's? Anything I missed?

Also, has anyone used the tnt frame stiffners modified with the RE long arm kit?

Sorry about all the questions, but I want to do it once and do it right so I can just enjoy the great outdoors instead of wrenching on my stuff all the time.

Thanks,

Jeff

I would do the TNT kit and use RE's trackbar/bracket/and brace!

Btw:heres your tire and wheel combo on my rig at 6"
mvc-006f.jpg

Last edited:
I was thinking about the tnt as well, but I like the RE kit, because on 4x4 groupbuy it is $2049 with a SYE + Driveshaft which would save me alot of money, but I would like the best setup. Is the TNT worth the extra expense, or will the RE kit work ok?

Thanks,

Jeff

Your axel set up is about the same as mine except im locked in the front, open in the rear and havent broken anything yet (knock on wood). Sounds like its gonna be a cool jeep. I dont know how picky cops are in your area about flairs, but if you can get away without them, save the money from the bushwackers and put them into something else. At 5.5-7.5 inches you might not need to trim with 33s.

I think the axles should be OK with my setup too. thanks for the input. I have not found anything about laws reguarding fender flares in AZ. does anyone know if I need them?

If you need flares that badly then find someone with a bender and welder to make you a set of tube flares. Seriously my flares lasted about 20 ft onto a trail and a stump took them out.

-Alex

RCP Phx,

That is a sweet looking XJ, Do you rub when flexed with the stock flares and how far do the tires stick out if any?

Fromagnon said:
RCP Phx,

That is a sweet looking XJ, Do you rub when flexed with the stock flares and how far do the tires stick out if any?
Oh yeah!Notice the bent right front fender.
crown%20king%2010-23-04%20019.jpg

stuffed.jpg

RCP phx,

Looks better with the flare off anyway. After the first pin stripe it's all down hill anyway. Thanks for the pictures, I like that size tire. Too bad only the tsl radial and the bfg's come in that size.

Back