• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another death wobble thread

When you say pitman arm, what do you mean; where the shaft enters the steering gear or the other end with the hole and TRE?
Either way, any slop can cause problems.

I just installed the same steering and ecountered the same issue. I had no death wobble before and now I can't go over 40mph. I haven't had a chance to check for play in my front end but am hoping to crawl under there this weekend. My oem steering had a stabilizer and my current setup does not. I installed the draglink above the pitman arm.

54729306_1134360586722432_8320683972682055680_n.jpg

I just installed the same steering and ecountered the same issue. I had no death wobble before and now I can't go over 40mph. I haven't had a chance to check for play in my front end but am hoping to crawl under there this weekend. My oem steering had a stabilizer and my current setup does not. I installed the draglink above the pitman arm.

54729306_1134360586722432_8320683972682055680_n.jpg

That’s weird. Hopefully it’s not just cavfabs setup. Your drag link/trackbar angles look really good too. I’m also running the draglink over the pitman arm.

Let me know if you find anything and I’ll keep you updated on my findings!

I’m completely stumped

Checked list
Ball joints
Wheel bearings
Rod ends / heims
Alignment
Wheel balance

Everything seems okay. My bushings seem okay by just looking at them.
Put a jack under the lowers and didn’t see any movement with the weight of the vehicle on them.
My uppers are stock and the bushings look okay, my jeeps just over 100,000 miles so maybe time to replace those anyways.

That’s weird. Hopefully it’s not just cavfabs setup. Your drag link/trackbar angles look really good too. I’m also running the draglink over the pitman arm.

Let me know if you find anything and I’ll keep you updated on my findings!

If it wasn't for drilling out my pitman arm and knuckles i'd just reinstall the stock setup. I've never replaced the balljoints so i'm just going to start there since i should give them attention anyway. A buddy mentioned that I could have always had an issue and that my steering stabilizer may have been hiding it. So I went ahead and ordered cavfab's stabilizer mount as well. I'll have some time to look at it this weekend. I'll keep you posted.

There is a reason jeep put a stabilizer on these vehicles. Hitting bumps between 40 and 55 mph can start a oscillation that results in a death wobble. I know everyone says if everything is perfect u dont need a stabilizer but not all roads are smooth. Put a good fox stabilizer on and be done with it.

There is a reason jeep put a stabilizer on these vehicles. Hitting bumps between 40 and 55 mph can start a oscillation that results in a death wobble. I know everyone says if everything is perfect u dont need a stabilizer but not all roads are smooth. Put a good fox stabilizer on and be done with it.

The mount that i ordered shipped this morning. Hopefully it doesn't take too long to arrive.

yeah...jeep put the stabilizer on to hide/cover this up hoping the worn out parts causing it would make it past the warranty period so they didn't have to replace them.

yeah...jeep put the stabilizer on to hide/cover this up hoping the worn out parts causing it would make it past the warranty period so they didn't have to replace them.

I think different.

Every vehicle I have worked on whether it is British, Japanese, US or any European vehicle that is equipped with a steering box instead of a rack and pinion have a steering stabilizer of some sort. Jeeps like VW's from the beginning of time have a hydraulic stabilizer. My 1994 Toyota pickup have a friction bracket bolted to the frame on the passenger side and the steering linkages attached to it.

I will for sure be ordering a new stabilizer and mount once the funds are here. Toughest part about this problem is that my wallet is empty right now so I’m just dealing with the issue :roll:

I think different.

Every vehicle I have worked on whether it is British, Japanese, US or any European vehicle that is equipped with a steering box instead of a rack and pinion have a steering stabilizer of some sort. Jeeps like VW's from the beginning of time have a hydraulic stabilizer. My 1994 Toyota pickup have a friction bracket bolted to the frame on the passenger side and the steering linkages attached to it.

And every one of those manufacturers had to worry about replacing worn parts under warranty as well................

All cars use to be sold with a spare tire too....but not any more.............

A steering stabilizer just masks when the parts start to wear......but it can't mask when they are severely worn...so all it does is buy time.............wonder why ??

I think that i found my issue. I just crawled under my jeep and found movement in my rubicon express hd track bar. It seems that the issue is with the threading. Where the end link threads onto the track bar on the driver side. I just looked up their warranty and it's lifetime so i'll remove it and walk into 4 wheel parts during the week.

Back