• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power steering return line first on the trail

4x4JeePmaNthINg

NAXJA Forum User
Power steering return line Burst on the trail

Power steering return line burst on the trail.

All I had to keep the reservoir charged was 10W 30, will this cause any issues?

Also to fix this I had planned on cutting the metal line and adding fuel line hose with hose clamps. sound fair?

does the ID matter for the return line?

Kind of got to get this fixed right now haha

Last edited:
Re: Power steering return line Burst on the trail

Power steering return line burst on the trail.

All I had to keep the reservoir charged was 10W 30, will this cause any issues?

Also to fix this I had planned on cutting the metal line and adding fuel line hose with hose clamps. sound fair?

does the ID matter for the return line?

Kind of got to get this fixed right now haha
That is a bit thicker than power steering fluid. The return line should have virtually no pressure on it, so unless something got plugged, there is no reason for it to burst.

I would really recommend flushing the hole system and getting back to PS fluid.

I will look when I get home, I may have a used return line.

I have run transmission cooler hose with barbed fittings for a return for decades. It has to be heat rated, normal braided fuel line hose will crap out over time.

Thanks! An old line would be preferable but some fix is happening tonight.

The oil it worked for getting home. I know from another recent escapade how crappy it is without power steering.
I was more worried about the pump spinning dry.

The line seems to have rubbed a hole through as it rests on the steering column.

Pump dry = BAD

Like previously stated, flush with power steering or, in a pickle, automatic trans. fluid.

Yeah, you have an automatic transmission, don't you? Ford specifies ATF for their power steering systems and has for some time. But like others said, fix line proper-like, flush system with power steering fluid, bleed.

Finally got home. I had a steering gear with both hoses, but the return hose had been cut in half. Go figure:gag:

Finally got home. I had a steering gear with both hoses, but the return hose had been cut in half. Go figure:gag:
No problem, I thank you kindly for checking. I ended up cutting the metal and adding fuel hose. This as I found out after was not necessary because the metal line is clamped into the original hose.

Oh well, fixed for now. Maybe A replacement part would be smarter for long term.

The hoses are cheap at NAPA. It's probably more expensive in gas to try get a used one from a member.

Chances are that your repair will hold up for the long term. Just make sure its not chafeing on any parts.

I found a place that sells fork lift hydraulic hose. The stuff that goes up and down on the drum when the forks are raised. Stuff lasts forever, costs a bit but a couple of yards will last for numerous repairs on tranny lines and whatever.

The only real difference between engine oil and most hydraulic and trans oil is the additives and the purity.

Back