• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wanted: 3K Transportation Car or Truck

Russ Pottenger

NAXJA Forum User
Just tossing this out.
My son is looking reliable car to buy for about $3000.00

Let me know if you know of something.

Thanks.

He would like to find something on the other side of 20 MPG.

His football training facilities and practices are in Palm Springs, and gas prices
are killing him.

In the old days (late 90s- mid 2000s), Mazdas could be had for cheap, since no one seemed to want them, and insurance rates were very low. I've had very good luck with them, from a 1971 piston model through 5 of them to present. There are two sitting in our driveway now. Jody's Mazda 2 has had one set of brakes, two sets of tires, and will need a battery soon. Not bad for 110,000 miles.

Used Mazdas aren't are cheap as they used to be, but a late 90s 626 with a 4 cylinder and manual auto be in that ballpark. I had a '98, and averaged 28 mpg over many thousands of miles. Do be aware that the late 90's automatics in Mazdas were problem prone, however.

It will be interesting to see if the 2016 Mazda6 holds up. They're getting 40 EPA MPG out of those. In 10 years, they'd be a great econo car.

David Bricker / SYR

I picked up a 2002 Focus with the Dohc 2.0 a few years back for 2k and it's been pretty good. It was way cheaper than what most people were asking for clapped out hondas.

Sorry to high jack.
Is your kid going to COD in palm desert for training?

He just signed up for the SoCal Coyotes. They are a semi pro developmental
team for the New England Patriots.
It's kinda like minor league baseball is to MLB.

Thanks for all the input guy's

Looks like Victor made a deal with
Geoff and goin to be a proud owner
of a Crown Vic.

Back