• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rebuilding front DS slip joint

denverd1

NAXJA Forum User
think I found the source of my vibes. Front slip joint is beat down pretty bad. never seen any info on rebuilding these, have already done centering ball and the other joints are fairly new. Is this shaft toast?

Depends on what is worn? The slip yoke and/or the splines.

If worn excessively, the slip yoke would need to be replaced, and the drive shaft assembly rebalanced. Your local clutch and u-joint shop will be able to quote you for the job.

slip joint in front shaft, I would guess it's beyond repair. will find local shop.

I spent more trying to fix my OEM shaft than I did on the top spec aftermarket shaft that I eventually replaced it with.

Just pop the coin on aTom Woods or an Adam's. I went Adam's and it was only a little more expensive than the expensive drive shaft on rock auto.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Just pop the coin on aTom Woods or an Adam's. I went Adam's and it was only a little more expensive than the expensive drive shaft on rock auto.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

what I'll probably do. would like to get some measurements from the D44 I'll be installing soon, current D30, factor in front axle stretch, figure out my final Tcase setup, etc.... so I don't have to this all twice. My rig being trail only, I'll probably just keep wheeling it as it is and keep some spare joints in my tool bag in case the vibes do more damage in the meantime.

may take it apart and see how beat down it is.

heck if it's trail only build a farm implement type drive shaft lol

with an 18" of slip joint! kinda like that idea. could weld my own yokes on it... actually trying to get back to street legal. local group has an obsession with backroads I guess you'd call it. It's not overlanding b/c they never get 50 miles from home, but cruise backroads and find somewhere to camp? IDK what they're doing honestly..

I'm more of a trailer it somewhere and get lost in the woods for a few days type of guy, but that's getting harder to find unless you go to CO or Ark.

good idea tho! I'll check it out. might be perfect for a temp setup.

Back