• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 xj loud noise at start of crank - no start

bobhouseholder

NAXJA Forum User
Hi,
My 2000 xj will not start.
- checked most grounds but need to check and clean the remaining
- new battery from before
- no codes thrown
- new starter
- same problem in neutral (probably not the neutral position sensor)

When I go to start I can hear the right sequence in the key position right before ignition. When starting it cranks maybe once then I get a loud sound and then nothing.

have not tried:
- jump while starting...maybe battery is drained
- CPS ... but no codes thrown

I have searched this and other forums but have not found the same problem reported.

Thanks,
-Bob

It could be lots of things, your going to need lots more info. Scanner data, voltages, audio, video and more are all needed to help with the diagnosis.

That's the bendix on the starter.

It needs changed, if it's new warranty it! What brand was it?

It was not the starter as a second one has same noise. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flywheel ring gear missing a tooth or 2,... Put a socket wrench on the vibration damper bolt on the front f the engine and turn it just a little then try the starter.

That sucks, a flex-plate is a major project.

update:
- not able to get engine to turn over after rotating a bit...tried several times in case I was still missing some gears
- looked at other new starter that was removed and it looks fine...thinking maybe I sheared off gears on that one
- I have battery voltage both without and with the key in the first position across the solenoid

What is the part number on the starter?

I’m guessing your auto parts genius gave you the wrong starter — yes it bolted in, but it has the wrong gear for an XJ

Good point, claim is 'exact fit'.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/carquest-starter-remanufactured-17749s/19840146-P

SPECIFICATIONS
Diameter: 82 mm
Direct Drive: No
Drive Tooth Quantity: 10
Gear Reduction: Yes
Gear Reduction Ratio: 4.4 r
Horsepower Rating: 2.1456 hp
Mounting Bolt(s) Included: No
Mounting Shims Included: No
Nose Cone Type: Closed
OE Manufacturer: Mitsubishi
Overall Length: 207 mm
Solenoid Attached: Yes
Starter Type: Mitsubishi Permanent Magnet Direct Drive
Voltage: 12 v
kW Rating: 1.6 kw

Sounds like broken or teeth stripped somewhere on the flexplate to me. I'd pull the inspection cover on the front bottom of the bell housing and inspect. Look for damaged teeth all the way around and for cracks in the plate around the bolt holes, and make sure the bolts are tight.

You did put both bolts back in the starter right? Don't laugh, I know someone who didn't realize the upper bolt goes in from the back side. I also found out on an older Renix that you don't want to mix up the bolts either (one was metric the other sae, just enough to thread it and strip)

Sounds like broken or teeth stripped somewhere on the flexplate to me. I'd pull the inspection cover on the front bottom of the bell housing and inspect. Look for damaged teeth all the way around and for cracks in the plate around the bolt holes, and make sure the bolts are tight.

You did put both bolts back in the starter right? Don't laugh, I know someone who didn't realize the upper bolt goes in from the back side. I also found out on an older Renix that you don't want to mix up the bolts either (one was metric the other sae, just enough to thread it and strip)

Thanks. Yes, it is back on correctly. Why did they mix the unit of measure of the bolts?

I will inspect flex plate next. Have a proper moose starter coming as well just to be sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

944a4e9e19d4a9054f038588ecca470d.png

Pic of the teeth with starter removed. Will crank engine a bit to see more. Nothing broken or missing.

Back