• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

instrument cluster electrical issue

sdigs

NAXJA Forum User
Help, i cant find my FSM. on Saturday I broke the wire of the oil pressure sending unit. Today the speedo, tach and gas gauge went dead. The temp gauge and volt meter still work and the low gas light is on.

Could the oil sending unit wire have grounded out and killed something. I dont have a wiring diagram and it seems weird that these wouldn't all be on the same fuse. I pulled the cluster and all the plugs are in place. any help would be appreciated.

Sean
94 XJ 4.0, AW4, NP231

Last edited:
Wouldn't have "grounded out" to cause a problem, that would just cause it to read a wacky value. "grounding out" and "shorting out" are specific failures not generic terms for "something electrical done ****ed up" :spin1:

(sorry, as an electrical engineer it really grinds my gears when people abuse terms like that, it'd be like me using the term "backlash" for anything wrong with someone's gear pattern, including bad bearings)

My bet is that the connector on the back of the instrument cluster came loose or needs to be cleaned. The tach and speedo signals (at least on a 96) are on wires which are connected to adjacent pins in the connector.

I'm with Kastein, probably just coincidental with the busted oil pressure sender.

Back